Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
There was a zoo in Surrey, where the Dursleys took Dudley on his eleventh birthday, along with Piers Polkiss and, against their will, Harry. While at the zoo, they bought ice cream treats, saw a gorilla that reminded Harry of Dudley, ate at the zoo restaurant, and visited the reptile house. At first, Dudley found the place boring because none of the reptiles were moving around much, but when no one was watching Harry discovered that he was able to speak to snakes when he realised a boa constrictor understood what he was saying. When Dudley and Piers realised the snake was moving around, in their rush to the get to the cage Dudley pushed Harry out of the way. In Harry's anger, he made the glass of its cage vanish, unknowingly using Underage magic.
Behind the scenes
- The film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone identifies this zoo as the London Zoo. This is where the scene was filmed. However, this cannot be considered canon as when Hagrid takes Harry from the Dursleys to get his school supplies in the novel, it's stated that Harry had never been to London before.
- In the book, Dudley and Piers jump back when the glass vanishes. In the film, Dudley falls into the tank and is trapped when the glass reappears.
- It is possible that this zoo is meant to be Chessington's World of Adventure, a zoo and adventure park located in real-world Surrey. Chessington's World of Adventure has a reptile house and a family of gorillas, like the zoo featured in J.K. Rowling's book.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game