Sentient to an unknown degree
Southern United States of America
"The Living Dead"
|Height of average adult||
During the 1991–1992 school year, Hogwarts Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor Quirinus Quirrell told his students that his turban had been given to him as a gift by an African prince for getting rid of a troublesome zombie. However, whenever he was asked how he fought off the zombie, Quirrell would try to change the subject and talk about the weather.
It was eventually revealed that the turban was used to hide the face of Lord Voldemort on the back of Quirrell's head, as he was possessing Quirrell at the time. It is therefore unlikely that Quirrell's story about the zombie was true, and the fact that the native range of zombies is America makes the veracity of the tale regarding the African prince even more dubious.
Behind the scenes
- Zombies are a creature from Haitian folklore comprised of a human corpse resurrected from the dead by a sorcerer to be an unwilling slave, though the creature is used in modern times to describe a corpse resurrected by any means and has become a staple of horror media.
- It is possible zombies may be related in some way to Inferi, or may even be the same thing, although this is unconfirmed. However, Pottermore makes zombies sound more like a naturally formed creature, as they are given a native range, or perhaps those they slay join them, making them a 'natural' creature.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)