Yetis are one of the Wizarding World's worst kept secrets as there had been so many Muggle sightings of the Yeti. Because of this Tibet has one of the worst Wizarding secrecy records, due to its continuing breaches of Clause 73 of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy. The International Confederation of Wizards had to place a permanent International Task Force up in the mountains to help control the situation.
The Yeti is also known as the Abominable Snowman or Bigfoot (the latter also being an alternate name for the sasquatch).
In 1992 Gilderoy Lockhart taught his second year class about the Yeti, probably using his book Year with the Yeti. However, based on his fraudulence, his information is taken from a more accomplished person and his own version is twisted into inaccuracy.
Behind the scenes
- The yeti is a creature purported to live in the portions of the Himalayas encompassing Nepal and Tibet, generally considered in modern times to be a misidentification of various types of bear native to the region, or a hybrid species of bear.
- The name "Abominable Snowman" derives from an account of a sighting of the creature in 1921 by a Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Howard-Bury. Bigfoot, on the other hand, describes a similar creature supposedly found in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, believed to have derived from a combination of local folklore, misidentification of local fauna, and various hoaxes.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only) (GBA version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned in The Quibbler)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references