|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
Mr Rastrick was born in 1750, somewhere in the British Isles. If he enrolled at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he attended the school from around 1761 to 1768, under Headmistress Dilys Derwent.
In 1836, a crowd of three hundred witches and wizards gathered in the village of Painswick to watch one of his performances. The show, however, became infamous, as Rastrick unexpectedly vanished halfway through a tap-dance routine and was never seen or heard from again. This event is, apparently, regarded as Rastrick's death.
Behind the scenes
- The reason why Rastrick suddenly disappeared is, at the moment, unclear. It might have been a result of a hex or jinx by a member of the audience or a serious (and infamous) case of vanishing sickness. Alternatively, Rastrick might have become un-born due to some time-travelling mishap (as his disappearance was before 1899, when the Ministry stopped conducting time-travelling experiments). It may also be possible that he performed a Vanishing spell on himself and couldn´t rematerialise afterwards.
The name "Xavier" is derived from the Basque place name Etxaberri meaning "the new house". This was the surname of the Jesuit priest Saint Francis Xavier (1506—1552). He was a missionary to India, Japan, China, and other areas in eastern Asia, and he is the patron saint of the Orient and missionaries. His surname has since been adopted as a given name in his honour, chiefly among Catholics.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Pottermore (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)