- "Wonderbook: Book of Spells is the closest a Muggle can come to a real spellbook. I've loved working with Sony's creative team to bring my spells, and some of the history behind them, to life. This is an extrodinary device that offers a reading experience like no other."
- —J.K. Rowling on Wonderbook: Book of Spells
June 2012 an exciting new project, in collaboration with PlayStation®3, was announced.
Wonderbook: Book of Spells is an enchanted book that brings spells to life around you, and includes new writing from J.K. Rowling, such as spell descriptions and stories from the wizarding world. Book of Spells is the first product to result from Sony’s partnership with Pottermore™, a unique online experience from J.K. Rowling built around the Harry Potter books.
In the world of Harry Potter, the Book of Spells is 200 years old and is written by Miranda Goshawk. This powerful spell book is kept in the Restricted Section of the Hogwarts library. As a student at Hogwarts, chapter by chapter you will be able to read about and practise a variety of spells, picking up valuable experiences and lessons along the way.
Wonderbook is a new peripheral for PlayStation®3. Using the latest augmented reality technology, Wonderbook puts a physical book in your hands and will support a magical new range of games and reading experiences for the whole family to enjoy.]] and J.K. Rowling, released on 13 November, 2012 as part of the Pottermore partnership. Using the Playstation Eye Camera and the Wonderbook technology, Book of Spells provides an augmented reality experience, making it seem as if the events of the book are taking place around you. It is set up as a textbook, providing information on such spells as the Fire-Making Spell, Disarming Charm, Levitation Charm and Unlocking Charm as well as allowing readers to practice said spells. It also provides new content from J.K. Rowling, such as backstory on the book's various spells and new info on creatures. At the end of each chapter, a poem occurs describing a failed Hogwarts students' attempt at the spell in order to teach a lesson in a similar way to Aesop's fables.
List of covered spells
- Levitation Charm (Wingardium Leviosa)
- Water-Making Spell (Aguamenti)
- Wand-Lighting Charm (Lumos)
- Unlocking Charm (Alohomora)
- Fire-Making Spell (Incendio)
- Bird-Conjuring Charm (Avis)
- Revealing Charm (Aparecium)
- Engorgement Charm (Engorgio)
- Shrinking Charm (Reducio)
- Summoning Charm (Accio)
- Severing Charm (Diffindo)
- Impediment Jinx (Impedimenta)
- Hardening Charm (Duro)
- Disarming Charm (Expelliarmus)
- Reductor Curse (Reducto)
- Stunning Spell (Stupefy)
- Patronus Charm (Expecto Patronum)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells on the Official Playstation website
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells on the U.S. Playstation website
- E3 2012: Wonderbook: Book of Spells Features Writing from J.K. Rowling
Behind the scenes
- Players may freely choose their House by selecting either Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw or Salazar Slytherin and may also choose from three types of wands. If, however, the player chooses to link the game to a Pottermore account, both will automatically be customised to match those of the player's Pottermore account.
- Pottermore released a series of minigames online wherein players take a short quiz on the Wizarding World. Afterwards, they can learn Aguamenti, Incendio, and Aparecium by first tracing a spell symbol, and then casting the newly equipped spell to complete a short task. After completing each activity, the player is able to download a certificate of their achievement. The games can be found here.
- In addition to the specific spells covered by each chapter, the player is sometimes given the opportunity to briefly make use of other spells, such as the Oppugno Jinx. The player, however, does not actually learn the gestures for these spells and thus is not tested over this material.
Notes and references