Wolves are a species of canine closely related to the domestic dog. A human affected with lycantrophy will turn into a wolf-like being known as a werewolf every full moon. It appears to be a staple of the Hogwarts Defence Against the Dark Arts curriculum to teach the difference between a werewolf and the true wolf; it was a question on the 1976 Ordinary Wizarding Levels, and Severus Snape taught it as part of a lesson on werewolves during a lesson he was teaching as a substitute in 1993.
Wolf is also a common surname and given name among people of Germanic descent from which the word originates, and has been adapted by others in the Americas, such as famous American wandmaker, Shikoba Wolfe.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Heard only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (First appearance)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault(Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Appears as a Patronus)