|Wendelin the Weird|
Wendelin the Weird was a witch who lived in the Middle Ages. She allowed herself to be caught 47 times in various disguises by witch-hunters, who tried to burn her at the stake. With the use of a Flame-Freezing Charm, however, the flames were rendered harmless, creating only a gentle tickling sensation which Wendelin enjoyed.
During the 1992-1993 school year, a portrait of Wendelin was hung in the Secret Hallway. Harry Potter once traded a rare misprint of a Wendelin the Weird Chocolate Frog Card to this portrait in exchange for a baby spider.
Wendelin the Weird was mentioned when Harry Potter had to write an essay for History of Magic in his third year, the premise for which was that "Witch Burning in the Fourteenth Century Was Completely Pointless — discuss"
Behind the scenes
- According to Harry's copy of A History of Magic in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Wendelin was burned at least forty-seven times. However, according to her card in the video games, she was only burned fourteen times, although the rest of the burnings may have occured after the card was published.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
Notes and references
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Trophy Room · Writing Supplies Room · Staircase between the sixth-floor and seventh-floor corridor
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird