|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
Lily's sister Petunia did not attend for she was highly against Lily being a witch and marrying a wizard. It is highly likely that Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew attended, as they were good friends of James. They had a quiet wedding, as this was during the First Wizarding War. Both Fleamont and Euphemia Potter, James's parents, attended the wedding; it is unknown as to whether either of Lily's parents attended the wedding.
- "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...."
- — Sybill Trelawney's first prophecy [src]
Following their marriage, James and Lily moved to Godric's Hollow. They then defied Lord Voldemort three times. On 31 July, 1980, James and Lily had their only child, Harry Potter. Albus Dumbledore put the Fidelius Charm on the Potters' cottage to protect them. Their first secret Keeper was Sirius Black, but this was shortly changed to Peter Pettigrew after Sirius convinced them to change, as little Peter would be a less likely target for Voldemort to assume. Unfortunately this double bluff ended in tragedy.
James and Lily made Sirius Harry's godfather. Peter betrayed the Potters' location to Lord Voldemort out of cowardice. On the night of 31 October, 1981 Voldemort went to the Potters' house with the intent to murder Harry, as he believed he would be fulfilling a prophecy and eliminating his biggest threat. He murdered James, then Lily, while they attempted to protect their infant son. Harry survived Voldemort's killing curse, while Voldemort's powers were destroyed and his mangled soul fled the scene.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance) (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in photographs)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In Deathly Hallows, Chapter 33, Dumbledore refers to James as Lily's "husband" in the scene where Snape asks him to protect Lily. This scene can be determined as having occurred in autumn 1979, based on the description of the setting ("...the sound of the wind in the branches" and "Though leaves and branches still flew through the night air around them..."), as well as J. K. Rowling's statement during her 2007 Carnegie Hall appearance that the Potters went into hiding when Lily was pregnant. James and Lily must have thus married sometime between leaving Hogwarts in June 1978 and autumn 1979.
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Potter Family" at Pottermore