|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|Weasleys' family clock|
Displays the whereabouts of each member of the Weasley family
The Weasley family owned a magical family clock which individually monitored each of their whereabouts. Located in the living room at The Burrow, the clock had nine golden hands, one for every member of the household. In place of hours on the clock's face were a series of possible locations, including "home," "school", "work", "travelling", "lost", "hospital", "prison", and "mortal peril." During the Second Wizarding War, all of the hands constantly pointed at "mortal peril." Harry reflected at one point that he liked the clock as, while it was useless if you wanted to know what time it was, it was otherwise very informative.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the Weasley family clock is referred to as a grandfather clock. However, this is likely an error made by J. K. Rowling as shown in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as Mrs. Weasley is taken with carrying the clock around with her everywhere she goes in the house. Unless she magically reduced the clock to portable size, it is probable that Rowling made an error in the text of Book 4. Harry further backs this up by noting that the family clock used to hang on the Weasleys' living room wall.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the clock has grey hands with family names on it and photographs of family members on silver hands. The clock is yellow and is surrounded by a piece of parchment (with a green background), and the text is red. The locations are: GARDEN, SCHOOL, HOME, DENTIST, PRISON, LOST, QUIDDITCH TRAVELLING and MORTAL PERIL. The clock also appears to be weight driven.
- It is ironic that Dentist is listed on the clock in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It is implied a few times in the series that wizards have no use for dentists. In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, when Hermione Granger tells the Slug Club that her parents are dentists, she has to explain what a dentist does. To which Professor Slughorn replies, "Is that considered a dangerous profession?" Although it is highly likely that Arthur Weasley added it, due to his fascination with Muggles.
- In 2012, a group of students at the University of Munich replicated this clock via smartphone apps and microcontroller technologies.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Notes and references
- ↑ [magicclock.de]