Voldemort: Origins of The Heir is an unofficial fan made prequel to the Harry Potter series. The film was made by an independent film company named Tryangle, by Gianmaria Pezzato and Stefano Prestia and financed through a crowdfunding scheme.
Warner Bros. intervened with the crowdfunding scheme on grounds of copyright, and the two companies eventually reached an agreement that the film will be a non-profit but professional video project.
The film is about Tom Marvolo Riddle and how he became Voldemort, exploring his life following his graduation from Hogwarts, to his job at Borgin and Burkes and his return to Hogwarts in search of becoming the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. It will also explore his rise and downfall in the First Wizarding War.
- Ironically, despite the movie's title and numerous promotions stating that the film would focus on Voldemort and his transition from Tom Riddle into Voldemort, the majority of the film does not feature Voldemort himself, but rather centers around "Grisha McLaggen" and her flashbacks.
- Grisha McLaggen is implied to be a relative of Cormac McLaggen, as well as the descendent of Godric Gryffindor. However, in the main series, there is no evidence whatsoever that the McLaggens are related to Gryffindor in any way, or that Godric Gryffindor produced any heirs himself.
- It is unclear why Voldemort would have hidden one of his Horcuxes in Russia, given that he had no personal connections to anything or anyone there from his past.
- In several of the flashbacks of her days at Hogwarts, Grisha McLaggen claims that she is a second year(age 12), despite the actress playing her in those scenes being far older.
- Canoically, it would have been impossible for an heir of Ravenclaw to exist in the film's continuity, as the only known descendent of Rowena Ravenclaw was her daughter Helena, who was killed by the Bloody Baron and produced no heirs of her own before her death.
- At the end of the film, it is revealed that "Grisha" was in truth Voldemort in disguise. However, this contradicts many of the flashbacks described by Grisha during her interrogation, given that Voldemort should have had no knowledge of them, such as the scenes with the other Heirs where he was not present, nor should he have been aware that Dumbledore possessed the memory of Voldemort's meeting with Hepzibah Smith.
- In the film, Grisha is interrogated with veritiserum by having it injected into her arm similar to an IV drip, instead of the proper method established in the series, shaking three drops of Veritaserum into the subject's mouth.