Vipera Evanesca (VIYP-er-uh ehv-uhn-EHS-kuh)
Point wand at the snake
Vanishes a conjured snake
History of use
Severus Snape cast this spell in 1992 at the Duelling Club to get rid of a snake that Draco Malfoy had conjured while duelling Harry Potter. Albus Dumbledore also may have used this spell to vanish Voldemort's snake during their Duel in the Ministry Atrium. Harry Potter also used it while searching for horcruxes in 1997.
During the Ousting of Severus Snape, Professor McGonagall dispelled the huge serpent Snape had transfigured from her fiery rope in a puff of black smoke nonverbally. It is therefore most likely that she was using this spell.
Behind the scenes
- This spell appears to be related to the Vanishing spell, given the effects and etymology.
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets the Cobra burned away, leaving some ash.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First identified as Vipera Evanesca)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4