Professor Veridian died in 1703. Two portraits of him hung at Hogwarts: one was hung in the Headmaster's office along with the portraits of other Headmasters and Headmistresses, and another at the Grand Staircase.
In the 1995-1996 school year, Veridian's portrait at the Grand Staircase was used to conceal the entrance to the Room of Rewards. He was frequently annoyed by all the hustle and bustle of the students' school life. In order to gain entry to the Room of Rewards, Hermione Granger threatened to convince Moaning Myrtle to haunt the landing where the portrait hung. Disliking Myrtle, Veridian let Harry Potter and his friends through.
The name Vindictus is derived from the Latin vindicta ("revenge") and the surname Veridian from the Latin viridis ("green").
Behind the scenes
- "Vindictus Veridian" may be a misspelling of Vindictus Viridian. However, it is currently unknown if the two are to be taken as the same person or not.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s)) (Unnamed)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s)) (Unnamed)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In interviews, J.K. Rowling has stated that "all the portraits you see in the headmaster's study are all headmasters and mistresses who died". Veridian's portrait is dated 1703.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - see this image
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ DVD 2 - Special Features (The Quest of Sir Cadogan)
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Writing Supplies Room
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird