before 1686 (most likely)
Based on his portrait, Viridian was a potioneer. At some point in his life, he was named Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Also during his lifetime, he published a famous book on curses: Curses and Counter-Curses (Bewitch your Friends and Befuddle your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying and much, much more).
Professor Viridian died in 1703. Two portraits of him hung at Hogwarts: one was hung in the Headmaster's office along with the portraits of other Headmasters and Headmistresses, and another at the Grand Staircase.
In the 1995-1996 school year, Viridian's portrait at the Grand Staircase was used to conceal the entrance to the Room of Rewards. He was frequently annoyed by all the hustle and bustle of the students' school life. In order to gain entry to the Room of Rewards, Hermione Granger threatened to convince Moaning Myrtle to haunt the landing where the portrait hung. Disliking Myrtle, Viridian let Harry Potter and his friends through.
Magical abilities and skills
- Curses: Professor Viridian was exceptionally skilled with curses, hexes and jinxes, and wrote a book which included such spells as the Full Body-Bind Curse, Jelly-Legs Curse, Leg-Locker Curse, Pimple Jinx, Stickfast Hex, Tickling Hex, Tongue-Tying Curse and Hair Loss Curse. Hence, it can be presumed he was able to cast such spells.
- Potioneer: Professor Viridian was presumably a well-known potioneer, as evidenced by several portraits of him making potions.
The name Vindictus is derived from the Latin vindicta ("revenge") and the surname Viridian from the Latin viridis ("green").
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter Limited Edition confirms that his surname was misspelled "Veridian" in the film series.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Appears in portrait(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 In interviews, J.K. Rowling has stated that "all the portraits you see in the headmaster's study are all headmasters and mistresses who died". Viridian's portrait is dated 1703.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - see this image
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ DVD 2 - Special Features (The Quest of Sir Cadogan)
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Writing Supplies Room
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird