Precipitates green energy from the wand that can:
The Verdimillious Charm (Verdimillious) is a charm that produces green energy from the wand by means of sparks. These sparks can be used to reveal objects hidden by the Dark Arts, or can be used in a duel.
Professor Quirinus Quirrell taught his first year Defence Against the Dark Arts students this spell in the 1991–1992 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, something the Ministry of Magic approved of.
The Verdimillious Charm can have several effects depending on its use. If one quickly casts the charm whilst aiming for a specific target, it will cause green sparks and/or green electrical discharge to explode and crackle all around the victim, hurting them slightly.
If one waves his or her wand in a circular motion overhead whilst slowly saying the incantation, aiming for nothing but thin air, an orb of glowing green energy will be thrown from the wand tip, exploding several feet away in a blinding flash of emerald light and illuminating the entire room for a short period of time.
So long as the emerald light from the spell lasts, objects such as platforms or doors that have been hidden by Dark magic will be revealed, so that they are temporarily visible and tangible again, until the spell's effects end.
- Gilderoy Lockhart
- Harry Potter
- Hermione Granger
- Quirinus Quirrell
- Ronald Weasley
- All other first years in the 1991-1992 school year
The incantation "verdimillious" most likely derives from the Latin word "viridis", meaning "green" and French "mille", meaning "a thousand"; this most likely reflects the thousands of green sparks produced.
Behind the scenes
- As this spell's effects are identical to those of the Green Sparks mentioned in the books and are given the same usage, it is likely the two spells are the same.
- This charm appears to be related to, or a variation of, Vermillious and Verdillious.
- A modifier can be used to produce the Verdimillious Duo and Verdimillious Tria charms.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBA version)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 5 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version)