Behind the scenes
- The incantation for this spell is spelt "Vera Verto" in the DVD subtitles. Whether or not this is a mistranscription is unknown, however, one of the alternate spellings it could have, based purely in etymology, would be "Fera Verto".
- When the students are practising this spell, the script identifies the rat Ron is attempting to transform as Scabbers. This is odd, as Scabbers is actually an Animagus.
- In the video game version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry has to transform an animal into a cup during his practical Transfiguration OWL exam. It is unknown if this spell was Vera Verto. In the PC version, it was mentioned that a girl had transfigured a mouse into a cup.
Vera Verto comes from Latin vera, meaning "true" or "right", and Latin verto, meaning "I turn" or "I change"; hence it could translate directly to "I change right". The first word of the incantation is similar to the French word verre, meaning "glass" or "a glass", but this could not be correct as it would then translate to "I change a glass".
Latin fera means "a beast" or "an animal" and hence if the incantation were actually Fera Verto it would mean "I change a beast"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (possibly)
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|