|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The subject of this article is a real-life person, company, product, or creative work that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
- "Hermione jumped and returned at once to her star-chart; Harry looked down at his own and noticed that he had mis-labelled Venus as Mars. He bent to correct it."
- —Harry Potter while taking his Astronomy O.W.L.[src]
Venus is a planet in the Solar System. It is discussed in Astronomy classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and possibly in Divination classes as well. It was part of the O.W.L. practical examination for Astronomy in the 1995–1996 school year.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, it is stated that the Astronomy O.W.L. began at 11 o'clock at night, and Harry observed Venus. In the real world, Venus can only be observed shortly before sunrise, or shortly after sunset , but it can never be seen at midnight.
- Venus is named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty. The goddess, the Roman aspect of the Greek goddess Aphrodite, was well-known in the myths for her love affair with Mars. Her husband, Vulcan, was played by Bill Nighy (Rufus Scrimgeour) in 2012 fantasy film Wrath of the Titans. Unless one were to count Gaea, the Greek personification of Earth, Venus is the only planet named after a goddess.
- In several cases in Rick Riordan's Camp Half-Blood series, Venus is depicted talking about the power of love -- most notably in The Titan's Curse, when she aided Percy Jackson in his quest to save his future girlfriend Annabeth Chase and the goddess Diana. In later books, she is the mother of protagonist Piper McLean, much to the charmspeaker's annoyance.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
Notes and references
|Professors: Aurora Sinistra|
|Astronomy at Hogwarts: Astronomy department · Astronomy Tower · Astronomy Room · Astronomy Stairs · Astronomy Corridor · Astronomy reading room · |
|Astronomers: Aurora Sinistra · Copernicus · George von Rheticus · Perpetua Fancourt|
|Objects: Globe of the Moon · Lunascope · Moon chart · Orrery · Star chart · Telescope|
|Planets: Jupiter · Mars · Mercury · Neptune · Pluto · Saturn · Uranus · Venus|
|Satellites: Callisto · Europa · Ganymede · Io · Moon|
|Constellations: Bartholomeus · Orion|