The Venomous Tentacula is a green, spiky, toothsome plant with mobile vines that try to grab living prey. Venomous Tentacula expels venom from its shoots, and its spikes are deadly. Its bite is highly poisonous and can prove fatal.
This dangerous plant is used for student research in Herbology classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Students are permitted to swear loudly if a Tentacula tries to strangle them during lessons. Diffindo can be used to both stun the creature and sever its arms.
Venomous Tentacula seeds are a Class C non-tradeable substance. Fred and George Weasley purchased Tentacula seeds off Mundungus Fletcher in 1995 for their Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes products. Tentacula seeds emit a faint rattling noise even if they are completely stationary.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Horace Slughorn states that Venomous Tentacula leaves are worth ten galleons a piece. Also in the film, Slughorn is caught by Harry stealing the leaves.
- In the game version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Pomona Sprout had a garden full of Venomous Tentaculas.
- In the PlayStation game, the Venomous Tentaculas live in some parts of the grounds. They spit out spiky ball-like pods, that bounce about and can be hit by spells. The Tentacula can also get burned up by the Incendio spell.
- Elphinstone Urquart, Minerva McGonagall's husband, was killed by a bite from one of these plants.
- Derwent Shimpling was famous for eating an entire Venomous Tentacula and surviving.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
|Professors: Herbert Beery · Pomona Sprout · Neville Longbottom|
|Textbooks: Flesh-Eating Trees of the World · Goshawk's Guide to Herbology · Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean · One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi · Winogrand's Wonderous Water Plants|
|Hogwarts class: Herbology Award · Herbology Lesson Cup · Herbology Race Cup · Herbology Store|
|Hogwarts greenhouses: One · Two · Three · Four · Five · Six · Seven · Professor's Office|
|Herbologists: Herbert Beery · Miranda Goshawk · Elladora Ketteridge · Beaumont Marjoribanks · Nepali wizard · Phyllida Spore · Tilden Toots · Hadrian Whittle · Sir Winogrand · Selina Sapworthy|
|Plants Studied: Bouncing Bulb · Bubotuber · Devil's Snare · Fire Seed Bush · Mandrake · Mimbulus Mimbletonia · Puffapod · Screechsnap · Self-fertilising shrub · Snargaluff · Spiky Bush · Spiky Prickly Plant · Umbrella Flower · Venomous Tentacula · Walking plant · Whomping Willow · Wild rice|