- "Something really extraordinary had to be inside this top security vault, Harry was sure, and he leaned forward eagerly, expecting to see fabulous jewels at the very least — but at first he thought it was empty. Then he noticed a grubby little package wrapped up in brown paper lying on the floor."
Vault 713 is a high-security vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank in London, England. It is located hundreds of miles underground and requires a Gringotts goblin to pass its finger along the length of the door, in order for the door to melt away.
The Philosopher's Stone was protected in this vault until Rubeus Hagrid removed it on the 31 July in 1991 on Albus Dumbledore's orders to be placed under more effective protection at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Quirinus Quirrell attempted to break into this vault after the Philosopher's Stone had been removed that same day by Harry Potter and Hagrid's visit. This was done under the direction of Lord Voldemort. It is unknown who is the owner of the vault or what, if anything, the vault was used for after it guarded the Philosopher's Stone.
According to the goblin Griphook, if anyone but a Gringotts goblin tried to open Vault 713, they'd be sucked through the door and trapped inside the vault until the vault is opened (which Gringotts Goblins do once every ten years). Based on this, Disapparition is more than likely impossible from within the vault.
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown whom exactly the Vault belongs to but it could be assumed that it belongs to either Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore or Nicolas Flamel.
- The vault's number can be separated to have 7 and 13, the two of the most well known lucky (7) and unlucky (13) numbers.
- A possible reason J.K. Rowling picked the number 713 is that, when written backwards, that is, 317, and separated with a forward slash, you get the date 31/7, or the date Harry Potter, Rubeus Hagrid and Griphook visited Vault 713 to remove the Philosopher's Stone.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBA version)