Vault 711 is a vault in Gringotts Wizarding Bank that belonged to Black family. It appears to be of moderate depth and deeper underground than the vaults of the Weasley and Potter families, but not as deep as the Lestrange vault.
This vault may have been the vault for the House of Black in general, as Sirius inherited all of the property and the last of the fortune of the House of Black upon his mother's death, though it is possible that Sirius acquired his own vault after being disowned using the money left to him by his uncle Alphard Black.
Sirius used gold from his vault to pay for Harry Potter's Firebolt in 1993. In 1996, when Harry inherited the contents of the vault after Sirius's death, it still contained a "reasonable amount of gold". Given its depth, it is likely a high-security vault.
Behind the scenes
- It is interesting to note that Sirius Black's death occurred on page 711 of the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix book.
- Curiously, in the U.S. edition of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the line referencing Vault 711 was modified to read "I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault." The original line read "I used your name but told them to take the gold from Gringotts vault number seven hundred and eleven -- my own."
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter Lexicon - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Differences Between the U.K. and U.S. Editions
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 3 (Will and Won't)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 22 (Owl Post Again)