|"I show not your face but your heart's desire."|
Makes things vanish
- "Bill took out his wand, muttered, "Evanesco!" and the scrolls vanished."
- —Bill using the spell in 1995.[src]
The spell is practised at O.W.L. level in Transfiguration class and is considered one of the hardest spells to be tested in the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams and can be used on both the living and otherwise. As stated by Professor McGonagall, the difficulty of the Vanishing Spell increases along with the complexity of the animal to be Vanished. Hence, when taught, the class is first to Vanish snails, then mice, then kittens; snails (being invertebrates) are considered easier to Vanish than the mice, which are vertebrates and mice are considered easier than kittens, the latter of which are "higher mammals" (i.e. more complex) than mice.
History of use
- Bill Weasley used it in 1995 to make several parchments, which looked like plans for a building to Harry Potter, Vanish.
- In 1995, Professor Snape used it to Vanish a potion Harry ruined.
- Hermione Granger also used it later in the year 1995 to Vanish a potion of Harry's that she thought he had finished.
Comes from the word "evanescence", something that is meaning fleeting or disappears, and from the Latin word evanesco, which means "disappear".
Behind the scenes
- The fictional Babbitty made a hat disappear, probably using this spell.
- Harry Potter may have used this to inadvertantly vanish the glass at the snake tank at the zoo in 1991.
- Whilst Snape used a similar spell to Vanish a snake conjured by Malfoy during Duelling Club, that was not strictly a Vanishing spell; it was a counter-curse with a different incantation yet similar effect.
- The spell Evanesce which appears in the Harry Potter Trading Card Game may be a variation or earlier version of the Vanishing Spell, given its similar etymology.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First possible appearence)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|