In their second lesson, the students were given questions on the Vanishing Spell for homework. On the 6th, however, the students were given a break from this spell and instead were given a long and difficult essay on the Inanimatus Conjurus Spell.
Later on in the year, Professor McGonagall returned the class to Vanishing Spells, this time working to make mice disappear. However, in the week leading up to the Gryffindor-Slytherin match, she abstained from giving them homework so that the Gryffindor Quidditch team could practise.
Behind the scenes
- This spell is referred to by Professor McGonagall in its plural form when she introduces it, along with Conjuring Spells, in 1995.
- Harry Potter may have used this spell unintentionally to make the glass at the Zoo. This, however, is unconfirmed.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Vanishing Spell)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Fifteen - The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Five - The Order of the Phoenix)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Thirteen - Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Sixteen - In the Hog's Head)
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Seventeen - Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Fourteen - Percy and Padfoot)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Nineteen - The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ Evanesco on Google Translate
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|