In 1992 when Colin Creevey was taking his picture and asking him to sign it, Harry wished he knew a good Vanishing Spell to escape the embarrassment. in 1993 Neville used this spell by mistake on one of the legs of his desk when McGonagall announced that, in spite of the attacks on students and the suspension of Albus Dumbledore and Hagrid, students would still be given their end of year exams. Fifth years at Hogwarts had to practice the Vanishing spell for some of their first piece of Transfiguration homework that year, they started with snails and then working their way up to mice.
It becomes more difficult with the complexity of the animal to be vanished; for instance, a snail, as an invertebrate, is rather simple, whereas the mouse, as a mammal, presents a great challenge. The greatest challenge, however, is the vanishment of a kitten, which Hermione Granger managed to do by mid-year.
In their second lesson, the students were given questions on the Vanishing Spell for homework. On the 6th, however, the students were given a break from this spell and instead were given a long and difficult essay on the Inanimatus Conjurus Spell.
Later on in the year, Professor McGonagall returned the class to Vanishing Spells, this time working to make mice disappear. However, in the week leading up to the Gryffindor-Slytherin match, she abstained from giving them homework so that the Gryffindor Quidditch team could practise.
|Bill Weasley||August 1995||Bill used this spell to make a stack of scrolls disappear while cleaning up after a meeting of the Order of the Phoenix during Harry's first night at number twelve, Grimmauld Place.|
|Severus Snape||1995||Snape used this spell to get rid of Harry's less-than-perfect first attempt at a Draught of Peace.|
|Harry Potter||June 1996||Harry vanished the whole of an iguana during his practical Transfiguration O.W.L.|
|Fifth years||One task on the practical Transfiguration O.W.L. was Vanishment.|
- fifth year students
- Hermione Granger
- Lee Jordan
- Severus Snape
- Bill Weasley
- Harry Potter
Behind the scenes
- This spell is referred to by Professor McGonagall in its plural form when she introduces it, along with Conjuring Spells, in 1995.
- Harry Potter may have used this spell unintentionally to make the glass at the Zoo disappear. This, however, is unconfirmed.
- After being forced to take a photo with Gilderoy Lockhart for Colin Creevey, Harry Potter wished that he knew a good Vanishing Spell.
- Neville Longbottom may have also used this spell unintentionally in May 1993 during a Transfiguration lesson with Professor McGonagall. Following her announcement that he and the other students would be having exams in one week, his wand slipped and one of the legs on his desk vanished.
- In "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" from The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the son of the original owner of the pot tries to Vanish the pot, but the spell has no effect.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Vanishing Spell)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Fifteen - The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Five - The Order of the Phoenix)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Thirteen - Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Sixteen - In the Hog's Head)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Fourteen - Percy and Padfoot)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Nineteen - The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter Seventeen - Educational Decree Number Twenty-Four)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Chapter thirty-one - O.W.L.S)
- ↑ Evanesco on Google Translate
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 6 - (Gilderoy Lockhart)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 16 - (The Chamber of Secrets)
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard - "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot"
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|