|This page is an archive. Please do not edit the contents of this page. Direct any additional comments to the current talk page or contact an administrator for aid if no talk page exists.|
Order of Merlin
Another thing we've added is the Order of Merlin. You can read about it at HPW:AWARDS. Now that you're active again, you deserve this:
|Order of Merlin (First Class)|
|The Order of Merlin is awarded to you by Freakatone for having over three-thousand edits on the Harry Potter Wiki.|
- Thanks a ton, Freakatone! :) -Starstuff 01:26, 10 October 2008 (UTC)
Hi, thanks for helping me with this category, I thought that those of murderer and murder victims is important as it crops up in all the books, I was hesitant myself about putting Hedwig in so I used the Wikitionary which is "An act of deliberate killing." it didn't mention humanity, and there are a lot of people who think that killing animals is murder, but it's really a matter of morality. I do however concede that Ariana's death was accidental, not sure about Fred's though as the Death Eaters were duelling to kill, does it matter in which form? And again thanks for your help. Leonardo2505 05:27, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
- I don't mind helping out at all. Building the categories is one of my favourite things to do around Harry Potter Wiki. :)
- There's a lot of ambiguity about which deaths could be considered murder. Is Molly Weasley a murderer for having killed Bellatrix in a duel and is Snape a murderer for having killed a dying man at his own request? Do Nearly Headless Nick, a person who was executed (albeit unjustly), and Hedwig, an owl, count as murder victims? Two people could look at these same questions and come out with completely different answers. My goal in adhering to a strict legal definition of murder was to sidestep all the personal interpretations which would create neutrality concerns on Wikipedia. I, personally, believe killing an animal without due cause is morally equivalent to killing a human, but my experience with NPOV on Wikipedia has made me conscious about trying to avoid the appearance of taking sides on topics that people don't always agree on, like animal rights.
- I chose a legal definition because, essentially, it's a consensus which people from all backgrounds have arrived at together. So, when I said in my edit summary that "calling the killing of an owl murder [would be] a stretch," I meant it would be a stretch by the most widely agreed upon definition of the term "murder." As for Fred's death, I was looking at it from the perspective that the primary intent of the Death Eaters in setting off the explosion was to breach the castle walls, not crush people under debris (after all, there were two incapacitated Death Eaters near Fred at the time, and they could've been killed just as easily him). However, I think I'm being too pedantic, so I'll re-add Fred to the category. As for the categorization of other articles, maybe the community should talk it over, to try to arrive at a consensus.
- I also had the idea of changing "Murderers" to "Killers" and "Murder victims" to "Homicide victims" in order to be more inclusive of cases which cannot clearly be labelled as murder, like Molly's killing of Bellatrix, or Snape's killing of Dumbledore. -Starstuff 09:15, 19 October 2008 (UTC)
Hey, just lettin ya know that I nominated you for Minister of Magic! --00:22, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Thank you for the Minister of Magic nomination, and letting me know about the new prefect system! Oread 22:49, 7 November 2008 (UTC)
order of merlin?
Hi, I have seen orders of merlin on many people's pages and I wasn't sure what they were. What exactly do you have to do to get one? Thanks! Iluvgracie129 15:32, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
- thanks very much for the order of merlin! I really appreciate it!
Iluvgracie129 16:12, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
- Also, if I know of another user who is over 1000 edits, can I give it to them??
Iluvgracie129 16:14, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
Hi, sorry to leave you so many questions but I was wondering how you made a signature. thanks! Iluvgracie129 16:24, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the information!! But then how do I get the date and time in that I would get by using the four tildes?
No need to thank me! :) Oread 23:05, 29 January 2009 (UTC)
Can you put the gryffindor use logo on my user page i can't do it it won'y work for me cheers
Yours In Harry Potter wiki
--Hogwarts09 13:13, 30 January 2009 (UTC)
Cheers thanks --Hogwarts09 13:28, 30 January 2009 (UTC)
Hi, Starstuff! I have a question and I hope you can help me. I see that you and some others have wonderful signatures. I wanted to ask you how to make one for me. Please answer me. 96ken 13:25, 8 February 2009 (UTC) I tried to make it myself but something went wrong. I didnt put a link. Now that I put it my new signature is not accepted. Could you please check it? User:96ken/sig 96ken 17:01, 8 February 2009 (UTC)
Hey Starstuff! I've seen many users with cool signatures. I see that many other people have asked you for advice in making one, and I wonder if you could teach me how to make one, too. Thanks a lot. Quidditch Lover 22:26, 18 February 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to go on trying other things, so it might change around a fair bit during the next few weeks. And I've got a slight problem: the date comes up in superscript when I sign. How do I fix this? Help me, please! Quidditch Lover (My talk) 00:22, 21 February 2009 (UTC)
- Here is your badge:
|This user voted for Ernie Macmillan to become a Featured article.|
I have seen that you have helped other users create their own signature. I was wondering if you could help me with making a signature. I've seen a lot of other people have their own but I'm still not exactly sure how to do that. Thanks. --Harrypotterthegreat 01:31, 18 March 2009 (UTC)