Before editing, be sure to read the wiki's policies. Please sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes (~~~~) to automatically produce your name and the current date. Be sure to verify your e-mail address in your preferences. Before attempting any major article rewrites please read the layout guide. If you have any questions, check out the policy and help pages (see here for editing help), add a question to the Community portal, view the forum or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!
Sorry to bother you, Professor, but I wondered what your ideas were on a theobry of mine. You see, I think it possible that the chapters in which spells are learned in the film correspond with their place in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 on Pottermore.
For example, the Unlocking Charm is said in the first film to be in chapter seven - on Pottermore, it is the seventh spell.
Is this evidence enough to assign chapters to spells, or no?
- I'm afraid not, no - I know about the film one because I have the first and third films. However, they don't mention any other spells in the movies and I don't have the first video game. So the proof I gave is my only proof, unfortunately. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:04, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh well... and sorry to bother you (I know you're expecting a message from Seth) but if a spell is taught in a certain year, is it safe to add that spell to the spellbook used for that year? For example, could I add the Seize and Pull Charm to The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 or the Silencing Charm to The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:18, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Ah, that makes sense... I suppose you don't use it very often because there's rarely ever a need for personal conversation, and the talk pages would suffice. All the same, it's interesting to know about for future. Thanks for letting me know of it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 19:18, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
Hello! Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been way to busy (hence my reduced activity this past week) and my internet connection has been intolerably lousy. Anways, I'll join the chat now, so, fire away. --18:14, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
Re:HP On the Web
That would be great! Could you please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information? Thank you!
Grace 01:36, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Hi Professor. Thank you for reminding Seth of my request for permissions. However, I wondered if it was alright if I removed the deletion tag from Signature spell, as there was no consensus for deletion - rather, all votes were for keeping it. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:41, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Just wondered, would it be all right if I began putting links at the bottom of articles leading to the articles for the subjects on Potterpedia and the Potter Dictionary? Such as Slytherin, Petunia Dursley, Vernon Dursley, Dudley Dursley, etc.? Understandable if no because this is an encyclopedia and not an advertisement campaign, but due to the lack of publicity on the other two wikis I wondered. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 20:39, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Well of course the articles on there would link here... that'd only make sense. As for point a, I've proposed it on the forum :). --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 20:54, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Hello Professor. I just wondered... was there any reason chat isn't used very often on here, or is it just because we have user-talk pages for that? Because if there's a specific reason I wouldn't want to defy it, but it'd be interesting for multiple users to be able to speak to each other simultaneously, without posting messages on a whole bunch of different talk pages and having a whole bunch of talk page headings added. All of the users discussing everything in one place. It'd be good to get to know everyone better than we already know each other. For instance, it took me a year to gather the information that you're a librarian in Ohio named George (hopefully you don't mind my saying that; I can take it out later if you'd prefer. I suppose there's a reason your username is ProfessorTofty and not GeorgeTheLibrarianFromOhio). --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 03:12, January 27, 2013 (UTC)
- I've never really thought of it like that; now that I think of it, you raise a point; you're right that messages on talk pages are better. However, I heard of a Reading Club thing and figured I might pick up on it again - I wanted to make sure it was allowed first before I outright asked about it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 14:09, January 27, 2013 (UTC)
Hi. According to this user I am constantly harassing and bullying him on his talk page and to use his words "tearing [him] apart". You can find the comments here. I figured I'd let you know in case you wanted to block me or something, whatever it is you do when you see mean comments. Thanks! Template:Hb
Oh.. I didn't know it was wikia-sponsored. I just figured everyone loved reading and decided to do so. So if it was agreed that such would be worth trying, you'd be "in" on it? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 02:01, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
- I've sent owls to Seth Cooper and Nick O'Demus, as well as to RainbowDashful; it isn't much, I know, but it's a start. I liked the ideas you provided... so it's set if we can get more than two users to join? We'll have until (D)/(M)/(Y) to read a certain number of chapters and then we all... I take it we go on chat and do the reading questions? And then we read the rest and do the same for that. Template:Hb
- Ah, I understand now. Tomorrow we will see then... bedtime for me, school tomorrow with a French test :) Good-night. Template:Hb
- Hi. Only RainbowDashful replied as of yet, so I'm hoping throughout the week the others will respond. And by the way, how do we know that "John Wilkins" page was not an actual thing that simply wasn't sourced? Like with "Pike" or "Eduardo", from the films, he may simply be real... Just figured I'd throw the idea out there. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:28, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
I would tend to say "Ah, I understand now" and end it, but since the pictures of Pike were on here three years before he was identified, I'm a bit hesitant about this one. All the same, as the users hasn't responded I'll quit it for now. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:39, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
Just trying to help
I feel that you are just standing up for Hunnie Bunn, but he has been harassing me and this has nothing to do about me taking time in my first week that I am here making a decent profile page. I have also fixed many actual articles while here. Hunnie Bunn is incorrect when he says that I am feeling that he is mean when he is simply stating rules, he knows that was not what I meant. He has threatened, harassed, and continues to message me when asked to stop and Admins have been put on notice. I doubt the Admins would block the one being harassed and not the actual harasser. I'm not trying to make enemys here, I'm just trying to add here and there to articles on Harry Potter Wiki that I've been reading for years. :)
Re: HP On the Web
You can change it if you'd like! We just created the e-mail to make the account but we don't check it since we didn't want the notification e-mails :) Grace 22:27, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Hello! Just as a head's up, bitly is a great site for shortening links if you want to link to the wiki when you tweet! Just head over to bitly.com and they will shorten any link. Grace 00:27, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Reading Club: Part II
RainbowDashful approves, Seth Cooper hasn't been online for three days, Cubs Fan2007 was just on fifteen minutes or so ago but hasn't responded yet, and Nick O'Demus hasn't been online for a while either. Nobody I've talked to about it has argued, and so I wondered whether it would be prudent to begin advertising on the Main Page or else on some other prominent place... Template:Hb
- Okay, thanks. I just wanted to get something rolling to begin with, and the Twitter thing seems adequate. Thank you. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:39, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, it would be extremely "cool", in my opinion, if we received a response regarding Lavender Brown from J. K. Rowling. I didn't even know that J. K. Rowling had a twitter (but then again, the pope does...) as I don't use it myself, so it was interesting for me to learn about it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 23:02, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
Just checking... because I collect the Noble Collection wands... would facts about the collectable wands add to articles about the different characters' wands? I don't mean reviews... the only thing I was actually considering adding was really about Severus Snape's wand. Something of the likes of his wand being one of the heaviest and when held it is waited to fall forward. If this doesn't add to the article I won't add it. I added to Prof Slughorn's the other night and really feel I fixed that article. Someone said the wand had antennae like slugs...but slugs dont have antennae so I fixed that and added how there are eyespots and it matches his name...checking wikipedia for how to word slug body parts lol. I understand things like that and anything describing the wand and/or how the wand matches the character's personality is great to add. But what about if it's simply a trait of the collectible? Is that considered "Behind the Scenes?"
Hey Professor Tofty,
Thanks for participating in Wikia's Fantasy Fellowship, the program has just ended! We're launching a new initiative that allows people to pick from three alliances- SciFi Galaxy, Heroes United, and Fantasy Fellowship. All the information can be found here and you can join here. Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you decide to participate!
Kate 00:13, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Just wonderin, Professor... what is J. K. Rowling's official twitter thing? I was planning on watching it to see what was new (not following, as that's what twitterers do, I suppose), but couldn't find your recent post. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 00:48, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Hi, Professor Tofty
I have a question for you:
Leprechauns are fully sentient and capable of speech, but they are classified by the Ministry of Magic as beasts. Shouldn't they be classified as beings?
Hi, Professor! Do you know what makes the font in the infoboxes small? The text in the infobox is always smaller than the text in the article. I try to make infoboxes for my german wiki, but there the text is as big as it is in the article. That makes the infobox too great. So I thought I ask, perhaps you know and can tell me.19:36, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for the advise. But under which name does I find "Quidditch Tournament Infobox"? I did neither find it under this name nor as article or with template before.21:41, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, I got it. Must have made a mistake by the search.21:44, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
I didn't know it was possible, but this IP, who was blocked for a month from the wiki, has been leaving messages on his or her talk page, stating that they have no regard for the rules but will continue to add the information we have asked them to keep off, in order to "fight for [our] freedom". I wasn't sure how to react and so thought it best to leave it to an admin. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:52, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, I'd forgotten to let you know that I'd already messaged Seth about it. And the user's father states that he will ensure no more trouble comes from that account, so I'm fairly certain that'll be alright.
As for the Reading Club - nobody has had any objections out of everyone that has responded (5 users approve). Nobody has answered the Twitter post. Is it time for a different approach to letting users know? I also think it'd be nice to start working on a date and some reading questions for the chat, as five users would be enough even if more would be nice. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 00:23, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry to keep bothering you about this, but I wondered, since we have six users interested and possibly more, whether we could start on arranging how many chapters to read and by when... I was thinking maybe February 20, up to chapter nine...? Template:Hb
- Is this anyone's first time reading Chamber of Secrets?
- Did you notice anything reading these chapters this time that you didn't notice before?
- Did these chapters disappoint you in any way? If so, how would you change them to better live up to your expectations?
- Did you think the characters and their decisions or problems were realistic? Do you think the author was trying to make them so? If so, how do you think they failed?
- What were your first thoughts on the eyes in the hedge? What did you think they might have been?
- What was your initial take on Gilderoy Lockhart? If you could buy any of his works, would you and which one?
- What was your favourite chapter so far? Was there a passage you liked best?
- Which do you feel the author described best; plot, events or characters?
- How did these chapters make you feel?
- Was there anything you liked or disliked so far that we haven't yet mentioned?
- Would you recommend this book, based on what you've read so far, to your friends or family?
- Are you excited for the next chat?
- I'm glad you approve; however, the fact that there was more there than necessary was, believe it or not, intentional; I wanted to have a wide range of choices for questions to ask. However, you're right that 2, 4, 10 and 12 can and should be cut, and therefore will be. But the rest seems okay, then? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:59, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Okay, thanks. I read your blog post, it was very well-written and you seem quite enthusiastic for that time. Thanks for all your help putting this together. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 21:12, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Just wondered Professor, but how much canonicity is the Scholastic Site? We trust it enough to rename "Rennervate" to Reviving Spell, but is it good enough for us to start adding information from it? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:35, February 5, 2013 (UTC)
- Okay, I'll archive it when I'm done here. Thanks for letting me know. As for the Scolastic site, whether vampires can go out in day or not is never specified (as far as I know, anyways) in the books, but on their site it clearly states they cannot. Likewise, the names Dancing Spell and Door-Unlocking Spell are given for Tarantallegra and Alohomora respectively. Could we add all these examples, or no? Template:Hb
- It seems like a true shame that there are so many errors on an official site for the Harry Potter books... are we still considering the vampire info "legit" despite the many other errors on there? Template:Hb
RE:Order of Merlin
Sorry, but I forgot to put this in my last message... anywho, I was thinking of renaming Delacour sisters' father to "Delacour", but as that's currently a redirect to "Delacour family" an admin has to do so. So I wondered if you could please do so if you didn't have any complaints of it. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:50, February 7, 2013 (UTC)
Unidentified blonde twin boys at Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Hi Professor. Remember me? Sorry I haven't tried to help the Wiki in some time, but I didn't feel there was any need. But currently there is no text on the article Unidentified blonde twin boys at Platform Nine and Three Quarters. I thought you could do something about it. Oh-- is there any chance that these could be Lorcan and Lysander Scamander? Could we at least mention it in BTS? --18.104.22.168 19:12, February 8, 2013 (UTC)
I'm Belac Reteet. Now that I'm back online I would like to discuss what happened two weeks ago. Frankly, I think you were wrong to block me for severel reasons. First, explain how how Stan Shunpike isn't a Death Eater. Second, how was I supposed to know the general community didn't consider him one. This wiki has way to much information for one person to know about. Third, to at least some extent, category additions are a matter of oppinion and can not be treated entirely as rules.
Also, you keep saying "your behaviour" as if I'm intentionaly doing wrong. I'm just trying to help, you know. But now I'm afraid to even bother with editing at all. And that was long before you blocked me, by the way. Every time I made an edit I knew that I would see the "you have an owl" box at the bottom of the screen later on. And every time I saw the "you have an owl" box at the bottom of the screen I knew it was from you. I would really appreciate it if you'd cut me some slack. Please think about what I've said before replying. Catch ya later!belacreteet (talk) 03:44, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
PS If you think you're tired of this category additions thing, it's nothing compared to how tired I am of it.
Hi, Professor! Have you seen this page? 77 unused videos - wow! What does this wiki with so many "unused" ;-) videos? 18:50, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
- "Use it or lose it" - nice rhyme :-) and good idea. It's not so long ago that this special page exists, so before it was not to be seen that there were so many unused and sometimes not more existing videos here. I would help you but I can't because for this deletion admin rights are needed. Perhaps Seth helps you, he's under the other admins the one who is the most time on this wiki. 21:47, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
Hi, I have a question about the hide button in the infoboxes, see one example here at the bottom of the infobox. Do you know how this is made? The code for hidable we have in the MediaWiki:Common.js, but it nonetheless does not work. Must there an image for "hide" uploaded or what has to be done? 22:44, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
- O. k., thank you nonetheless, I'll try my luck with Seth Cooper then, perhaps he knows. 22:50, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
Hi Professor! I've just been through Category talk:Candidates for renaming, and I noticed that most have had little if no argument against the presented naming conventions for each respective article. However, all of the articles required that an administrator rename the page due to some redirect thing. I wondered if you could please help with this? Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:53, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. Most of them seem to be on some sort of deadlock, but to be honest I don't really care what happens to them (all right then, I suppose I do desire the renaming of Delacour, but only because I'm the one who suggested it). But thanks, either way. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 03:11, February 10, 2013 (UTC)
Theory on Ron's green spell in Deathly Hallows: Part 2
I have a theory regarding the green spell Ronald Weasley used against Nagini in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. It is said somewhere on this Wiki that there is a possibility that Ron used the Killing Curse against her, but I disagree. It can't have been the Killing Curse as it didn't destroy the Horcrux inside her, and earlier when Lord Voldemort used it on Harry Potter it totally destroyed that Horcrux. Thoughts? --22.214.171.124 12:38, February 10, 2013 (UTC)
- Voldemort though he had killed Harry Potter with the use of the Killing Curse but it only destroyed the Horcrux inside him as Harry was protected by his mother's love.
More on Stan Shunpike and Category Additions
Hey Professor Tofty. I'm Belac Reteet. I'm pretty sure you misunderstood me earlier. I wasn't trying to make cheap excuses. I actualy felt wronged and wanted to tell you why.
I would like to start with talking about category additions. First of all; I have no problem with making other edits besides category additions, but you have been very vague as to how long I am restricted from them. Also, if you think it's fair to block me right after adding a category you disagree with, then I disagree with you entirely. If you tell me not to add a certain category to a certain page and I do it any way, you have every right to block me. But you can't say that I have habbit of adding questionable categories to pages, because it's a different category and a different page every time (and again, it's also a matter of oppinion to some extent).
Now on to Stan Shunpike. Again, how is he not a death eater? I am quite familiar with Mr. Weasley's statement on the matter, but that was before Stan was a death eater. I am well aware that he was a mere scapegoat at that point, but he was recruited by the death eaters after being released from Azkaban in number seven. While I agree that the most likely reason for his ascotiation with the death eaters was the imperius curse, I do not think that changes the fact that he was a death eater at that point. Pius Thickness, for example, is considered a death eater even though he was under the imperius curse. Any way, just get back to me on that. Catch ya later!belacreteet (talk) 20:05, February 10, 2013 (UTC)
PS Be sure to check out the Horcrux Talk Page. I recentley posted a new comment there and would like to get back to the Sentient Horcruxes debate.
PPS Oh, I forgot to tell you. The reasons that I wasn't hinted by the fact that Stan Shunpike hadn't been labeled a death eater depite how long he'd been here were; 1 I didn't know how long he'd been on here. And 2 It occured to me that Stan's not a really important character, and might've been overlooked.
- There have been several vandal edits from the IP range from 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52, so I went ahead and did a one month range-block on them. - Nick O'Demus 12:46, February 11, 2013 (UTC)
The problem is that it downloads, then says that it can't open it. "Compressed Folder c:/Users/Robert/Downloads/A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department Pt. 1.zip is invalid". However, I'll try to download it in Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome, thanks for the suggestion :) --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:04, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- OH, I get it now. I thought originally that you meant the download itself would have downloaded the whole thing but it got interrupted and stopped downloading entirely. Now it all makes sense to me. I'll try it with Internet Explorer. Thanks! :) --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:11, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks. I appreciate that you're taking the time to do all this for me (even if there is the reward of being able to see all of it yourself). --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:33, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Same here... well, good luck at the library. Oh well, the worst thing that happens is Seth is the only one who can download it successfully and we rely on whatever he uploads here in terms of seeing the information. By the way, I read your Wonderbook review and found it quite an interesting read :) Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 02:29, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
Stan Shunpike and Categories part III
You know what? I wan't you to answere these questions; 1 How are Death Eaters classified? 2 How long am I restricted from category additions? 3 Did you get my point about it not being fair to block me before letting me know that you disagree with me? 4 Have you seen the Hobbit?belacreteet (talk) 01:38, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
I'm still Belac Reteet. On a different note; someone keeps erasing my page on Harpy and redirecting it to Holyhead Harpies for some reason. I wonder if you can help me put one of those lock templates on it to get them to stop? Catch ya later!belacreteet (talk) 01:47, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
Oh. Well I hope you like it. It's a classic. Catch ya later!
Sorry about that, I decided to put up the Valentines' Day skin after I saw that the Pottermore Insider had been revamped for the occasion. -- 15:46, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
- PS: I do think it is utterly tacky, but that's Valentine's Day for you! Although I'm still not 100% satisfied with the background... I'll try to fix it as best as I can. -- 15:47, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
- I absolutely love what you did with the Main Page! I thought I would add a detail of my own. I've already left a note at the Harry Potter Wiki Facebook saying that someone by the name of "Peskipiksi_Pesternomi" has been messing with the Main Page and that, normally, we would take care of it, but... we forgot how to do it! :) -- 01:38, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- To be honest, Gilderoy Lockhart is who I really want as my Valentine. Would it bother you to add that option to the poll, pretty please? :P -- 01:49, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- Hi, I've seen the new mainpage. Great, that's really wonderful, funny thing. BTW, I saw in your header the word "Wikia Star". What does that mean? 19:14, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
You know what? Fine! I'm fed up with this! From now on I'll consult you before every edit I make! That shouldn't be a problem for you, right? I mean, you're already quite interested in my edits already!belacreteet (talk) 17:52, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
I'm sorry, but I literaly don't feel safe making any more edits. What was it you said? Something about creature subcategories. Any way, I've created two pages, so I have been making other edits. I think I'll just consult you before adding categries until further notice.belacreteet (talk) 18:06, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
Hi Professor. Happy Valentine's Day. Apart from the fact that I hate Valentine's Day, the decorations are quite nice. A bit pink, but anyways... Nice job. But what does Lockhart have to do with Valentine's, just wondering? PS: Just wondered, what does the "Wikia Star" button mean on your username? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 02:03, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- I should have guessed about the Lockhart thing. And as for the new Wikia program, I'm surprised to hear the "upcoming chat" - I suppose you mean the one about Chamber of Secrets, which I still haven't read despite it being seven days away? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 02:14, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
Happy Valentines Day
Happy Valentines Day! I'm Belac Reteet. I just figured now would be a good time to drop in and let you know there are no hard feelings. Don't work to hard. I hope you have a good day. Catch ya later!belacreteet (talk) 19:40, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
Hi, Professor! I hope you can help me. Sometimes someone on Pottermore wrote directly to me. I was in Pottermore and there was a Valentine message for me directly on my profile. How do they do this?21:19, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- Hm, that's surprising because the user who sent this message seems to be a normal user of Hufflepuff which I have added as friend. Hm. 21:40, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- Happy Valentine's Day from me, too. 21:55, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- To whom? Do you want one? ;-))) Here is one. 21:59, February 14, 2013 (UTC)
- I guess ol' Sneaky Lockhart's got to go huh? I confess myself disappointed for not figuring a way out to put this somewhere in the decorations (it looked awful in the Main Page slider...). Oh well, there's always next year.
- Perhaps we should get rid of the "Lockhartised-Main-Page" today and the Valentine's background tomorrow (seeing as I put it up one day before Valentine's, it seems right that we'd take it down a day after)? Anyway, what to do with the Main Page slider? We're in February now, so the Christmas stuff seems ridiculously out-of-place. Perhaps just links to random articles? Oh, and an announcement of the Chamber of Secrets chat? -- 00:20, February 15, 2013 (UTC)
LOL! Sorry about that. I'm Belac Reteet. The reason I changed the word "being" to "beings" on the ogre category was because I missed the word "a". I thought it said "It is likely they are being." when it really said "It is likely they are a being." So apparently I changed it to "It is likely they are a beings." LOL! Any way, catch ya later!belacreteet (talk) 03:07, February 15, 2013 (UTC)