Before editing, be sure to read the wiki's policies. Please sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes (~~~~) to automatically produce your name and the current date. Be sure to verify your e-mail address in your preferences. Before attempting any major article rewrites please read the layout guide. If you have any questions, check out the policy and help pages (see here for editing help), add a question to the Community portal, view the forum or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!
Sorry to bother you, Professor, but I wondered what your ideas were on a theobry of mine. You see, I think it possible that the chapters in which spells are learned in the film correspond with their place in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 on Pottermore.
For example, the Unlocking Charm is said in the first film to be in chapter seven - on Pottermore, it is the seventh spell.
Is this evidence enough to assign chapters to spells, or no?
- I'm afraid not, no - I know about the film one because I have the first and third films. However, they don't mention any other spells in the movies and I don't have the first video game. So the proof I gave is my only proof, unfortunately. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:04, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh well... and sorry to bother you (I know you're expecting a message from Seth) but if a spell is taught in a certain year, is it safe to add that spell to the spellbook used for that year? For example, could I add the Seize and Pull Charm to The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 or the Silencing Charm to The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:18, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Ah, that makes sense... I suppose you don't use it very often because there's rarely ever a need for personal conversation, and the talk pages would suffice. All the same, it's interesting to know about for future. Thanks for letting me know of it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 19:18, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
Hello! Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been way to busy (hence my reduced activity this past week) and my internet connection has been intolerably lousy. Anways, I'll join the chat now, so, fire away. --18:14, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
Re:HP On the Web
That would be great! Could you please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information? Thank you!
Grace 01:36, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Hi Professor. Thank you for reminding Seth of my request for permissions. However, I wondered if it was alright if I removed the deletion tag from Signature spell, as there was no consensus for deletion - rather, all votes were for keeping it. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 18:41, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Just wondered, would it be all right if I began putting links at the bottom of articles leading to the articles for the subjects on Potterpedia and the Potter Dictionary? Such as Slytherin, Petunia Dursley, Vernon Dursley, Dudley Dursley, etc.? Understandable if no because this is an encyclopedia and not an advertisement campaign, but due to the lack of publicity on the other two wikis I wondered. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 20:39, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Well of course the articles on there would link here... that'd only make sense. As for point a, I've proposed it on the forum :). --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 20:54, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Hello Professor. I just wondered... was there any reason chat isn't used very often on here, or is it just because we have user-talk pages for that? Because if there's a specific reason I wouldn't want to defy it, but it'd be interesting for multiple users to be able to speak to each other simultaneously, without posting messages on a whole bunch of different talk pages and having a whole bunch of talk page headings added. All of the users discussing everything in one place. It'd be good to get to know everyone better than we already know each other. For instance, it took me a year to gather the information that you're a librarian in Ohio named George (hopefully you don't mind my saying that; I can take it out later if you'd prefer. I suppose there's a reason your username is ProfessorTofty and not GeorgeTheLibrarianFromOhio). --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 03:12, January 27, 2013 (UTC)
- I've never really thought of it like that; now that I think of it, you raise a point; you're right that messages on talk pages are better. However, I heard of a Reading Club thing and figured I might pick up on it again - I wanted to make sure it was allowed first before I outright asked about it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 14:09, January 27, 2013 (UTC)
Hi. According to this user I am constantly harassing and bullying him on his talk page and to use his words "tearing [him] apart". You can find the comments here. I figured I'd let you know in case you wanted to block me or something, whatever it is you do when you see mean comments. Thanks! Template:Hb
Oh.. I didn't know it was wikia-sponsored. I just figured everyone loved reading and decided to do so. So if it was agreed that such would be worth trying, you'd be "in" on it? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 02:01, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
- I've sent owls to Seth Cooper and Nick O'Demus, as well as to RainbowDashful; it isn't much, I know, but it's a start. I liked the ideas you provided... so it's set if we can get more than two users to join? We'll have until (D)/(M)/(Y) to read a certain number of chapters and then we all... I take it we go on chat and do the reading questions? And then we read the rest and do the same for that. Template:Hb
- Ah, I understand now. Tomorrow we will see then... bedtime for me, school tomorrow with a French test :) Good-night. Template:Hb
- Hi. Only RainbowDashful replied as of yet, so I'm hoping throughout the week the others will respond. And by the way, how do we know that "John Wilkins" page was not an actual thing that simply wasn't sourced? Like with "Pike" or "Eduardo", from the films, he may simply be real... Just figured I'd throw the idea out there. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:28, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
I would tend to say "Ah, I understand now" and end it, but since the pictures of Pike were on here three years before he was identified, I'm a bit hesitant about this one. All the same, as the users hasn't responded I'll quit it for now. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:39, January 28, 2013 (UTC)
Just trying to help
I feel that you are just standing up for Hunnie Bunn, but he has been harassing me and this has nothing to do about me taking time in my first week that I am here making a decent profile page. I have also fixed many actual articles while here. Hunnie Bunn is incorrect when he says that I am feeling that he is mean when he is simply stating rules, he knows that was not what I meant. He has threatened, harassed, and continues to message me when asked to stop and Admins have been put on notice. I doubt the Admins would block the one being harassed and not the actual harasser. I'm not trying to make enemys here, I'm just trying to add here and there to articles on Harry Potter Wiki that I've been reading for years. :)
Re: HP On the Web
You can change it if you'd like! We just created the e-mail to make the account but we don't check it since we didn't want the notification e-mails :) Grace 22:27, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Hello! Just as a head's up, bitly is a great site for shortening links if you want to link to the wiki when you tweet! Just head over to bitly.com and they will shorten any link. Grace 00:27, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Reading Club: Part II
RainbowDashful approves, Seth Cooper hasn't been online for three days, Cubs Fan2007 was just on fifteen minutes or so ago but hasn't responded yet, and Nick O'Demus hasn't been online for a while either. Nobody I've talked to about it has argued, and so I wondered whether it would be prudent to begin advertising on the Main Page or else on some other prominent place... Template:Hb
- Okay, thanks. I just wanted to get something rolling to begin with, and the Twitter thing seems adequate. Thank you. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:39, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, it would be extremely "cool", in my opinion, if we received a response regarding Lavender Brown from J. K. Rowling. I didn't even know that J. K. Rowling had a twitter (but then again, the pope does...) as I don't use it myself, so it was interesting for me to learn about it. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 23:02, January 29, 2013 (UTC)
Just checking... because I collect the Noble Collection wands... would facts about the collectable wands add to articles about the different characters' wands? I don't mean reviews... the only thing I was actually considering adding was really about Severus Snape's wand. Something of the likes of his wand being one of the heaviest and when held it is waited to fall forward. If this doesn't add to the article I won't add it. I added to Prof Slughorn's the other night and really feel I fixed that article. Someone said the wand had antennae like slugs...but slugs dont have antennae so I fixed that and added how there are eyespots and it matches his name...checking wikipedia for how to word slug body parts lol. I understand things like that and anything describing the wand and/or how the wand matches the character's personality is great to add. But what about if it's simply a trait of the collectible? Is that considered "Behind the Scenes?"
Hey Professor Tofty,
Thanks for participating in Wikia's Fantasy Fellowship, the program has just ended! We're launching a new initiative that allows people to pick from three alliances- SciFi Galaxy, Heroes United, and Fantasy Fellowship. All the information can be found here and you can join here. Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you decide to participate!
Kate 00:13, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Just wonderin, Professor... what is J. K. Rowling's official twitter thing? I was planning on watching it to see what was new (not following, as that's what twitterers do, I suppose), but couldn't find your recent post. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 00:48, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Hi, Professor Tofty
I have a question for you:
Leprechauns are fully sentient and capable of speech, but they are classified by the Ministry of Magic as beasts. Shouldn't they be classified as beings?
Hi, Professor! Do you know what makes the font in the infoboxes small? The text in the infobox is always smaller than the text in the article. I try to make infoboxes for my german wiki, but there the text is as big as it is in the article. That makes the infobox too great. So I thought I ask, perhaps you know and can tell me.19:36, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for the advise. But under which name does I find "Quidditch Tournament Infobox"? I did neither find it under this name nor as article or with template before.21:41, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, I got it. Must have made a mistake by the search.21:44, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
I didn't know it was possible, but this IP, who was blocked for a month from the wiki, has been leaving messages on his or her talk page, stating that they have no regard for the rules but will continue to add the information we have asked them to keep off, in order to "fight for [our] freedom". I wasn't sure how to react and so thought it best to leave it to an admin. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 22:52, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, I'd forgotten to let you know that I'd already messaged Seth about it. And the user's father states that he will ensure no more trouble comes from that account, so I'm fairly certain that'll be alright.
As for the Reading Club - nobody has had any objections out of everyone that has responded (5 users approve). Nobody has answered the Twitter post. Is it time for a different approach to letting users know? I also think it'd be nice to start working on a date and some reading questions for the chat, as five users would be enough even if more would be nice. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 00:23, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry to keep bothering you about this, but I wondered, since we have six users interested and possibly more, whether we could start on arranging how many chapters to read and by when... I was thinking maybe February 20, up to chapter nine...? Template:Hb
- Is this anyone's first time reading Chamber of Secrets?
- Did you notice anything reading these chapters this time that you didn't notice before?
- Did these chapters disappoint you in any way? If so, how would you change them to better live up to your expectations?
- Did you think the characters and their decisions or problems were realistic? Do you think the author was trying to make them so? If so, how do you think they failed?
- What were your first thoughts on the eyes in the hedge? What did you think they might have been?
- What was your initial take on Gilderoy Lockhart? If you could buy any of his works, would you and which one?
- What was your favourite chapter so far? Was there a passage you liked best?
- Which do you feel the author described best; plot, events or characters?
- How did these chapters make you feel?
- Was there anything you liked or disliked so far that we haven't yet mentioned?
- Would you recommend this book, based on what you've read so far, to your friends or family?
- Are you excited for the next chat?
- I'm glad you approve; however, the fact that there was more there than necessary was, believe it or not, intentional; I wanted to have a wide range of choices for questions to ask. However, you're right that 2, 4, 10 and 12 can and should be cut, and therefore will be. But the rest seems okay, then? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:59, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Okay, thanks. I read your blog post, it was very well-written and you seem quite enthusiastic for that time. Thanks for all your help putting this together. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 21:12, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Just wondered Professor, but how much canonicity is the Scholastic Site? We trust it enough to rename "Rennervate" to Reviving Spell, but is it good enough for us to start adding information from it? --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:35, February 5, 2013 (UTC)
- Okay, I'll archive it when I'm done here. Thanks for letting me know. As for the Scolastic site, whether vampires can go out in day or not is never specified (as far as I know, anyways) in the books, but on their site it clearly states they cannot. Likewise, the names Dancing Spell and Door-Unlocking Spell are given for Tarantallegra and Alohomora respectively. Could we add all these examples, or no? Template:Hb
- It seems like a true shame that there are so many errors on an official site for the Harry Potter books... are we still considering the vampire info "legit" despite the many other errors on there? Template:Hb
RE:Order of Merlin
Sorry, but I forgot to put this in my last message... anywho, I was thinking of renaming Delacour sisters' father to "Delacour", but as that's currently a redirect to "Delacour family" an admin has to do so. So I wondered if you could please do so if you didn't have any complaints of it. Thanks. --Hunnie Bunn (Owl me!) 01:50, February 7, 2013 (UTC)