Hello, Patr0nus, and welcome to the Harry Potter Wiki (HPW). Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay.
I hope you enjoy editing here! By the way, please be sure to sign your name on Talk and vote pages using four tildes (~~~~) to produce your name and the current date. If you are currently contributing anonymously, consider creating an account, also be sure to verify an e-mail address at your preferences if you do. If you have any questions, see the help pages (see here for editing help), add a question to the Community portal or ask me on my talk page. Again, welcome!
- Thank you for uploading so many useful images. In the future, please remember to include licensing when you do (on the upload image page, there is a specific menu that allows you to select 'screenshot', for instance), and to add categories afterwards. Thanks. Oread 19:21, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- Again, please remember to include licensing when you upload an image. There is a dropdown menu on the Upload page right below the Summary section. Most of the images you are uploading seem to be from the movies, therefore you would choose 'screenshot' under 'fair use'. There is also an option specifically for when you have received permission for the image. Thanks. Oread 17:52, 17 November 2008 (UTC)
- I'm sorry to keep pestering you about this, but you upload many great images but keep forgetting to add categories for them. Please try to remember to add them when, or after, you upload images -- there are categories for just about every character, location, event, and film. Thank you. Oread 20:04, 6 December 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for your recent addition of images to the Hermione Granger article. However, please keep in mind that when an already-present image is of good quality and contextually appropriate, it should not be replaced. A new, equally valuable image can always be added somewhere else or fit in with some adjustments. Also, while it is true that images should not be overly large, some have to be a little larger than others in order for them to be clear -- the image of Slughorn's Potions class, for instance, needs to be relatively large in order for a viewer to make out who is even in it. Oread 21:10, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
I'm not offended, and I'm sorry if you've taken any changes I've made (or reverted) personally. I assure you that it was not intended that way. The Hermione Granger article is one I've done a lot of work on; when I first came onto this site, it didn't have a relationships section, personality and traits section, abilities section, or many images and quotes. It's one I've done a lot of work on. As a result, I probably am a little more vigilant about it, and I apologize if this comes off as high-handed. Most of the editing I've done recently is removing incorrect information (e.g. somebody changed the year of birth to 1981), or improving my own edits.
With regards to your edits, they have always been valuable, and the best articles tend to be joint efforts. So why don't we discuss it to see on what points and why we disagree? I'll explain some of my reasoning for the changes I made, and perhaps we can find a compromise.
1. Removing spaces
- This is something I learned from older users. They tend to prefer that paragraphs not be too small or that there be blank lines between things such as main text and coding for images. Intros, especially, are rarely more than two paragraphs.
2. Image sizes
- If I recall correctly, I expanded the one of Hermione and Draco and of the Potions class slightly (because I didn't think you could see Hermione very well in them when they were small) and the Centaur one. On second thought, I do agree with you that it's too big, as well as perhaps the one of Hermione with Harry and Ginny at the table in the Great Hall.
3. Image selections
- I removed one image of Harry and Hermione because (1) there was already a similar image there to show them being alone, and (2) you could only really see the side/back of Hermione's head in it. I think I also changed the fourth year image back to one just showing Hermione in her Yule Ball dress, and moved the one of her and Viktor dancing to their relationship section. Generally, I find it preferable if relationship images show the relationship to some degree, rather than just the character in question, and I thought it would be repetitive to have two images of them dancing in the article.
4. Main quote
- I restored the quote to what it was before. Just to let you know, most users tend to want there to be a discussion if people want to change the main quote or main image (e.g. over the main image for the Ginevra Weasley article, there was a vote on the talk page). More specifically, though, I didn't think it was necessary to include "oh, Harry, be careful!" at the end. That part of the quote pertains to a specific part of what is occuring in the scene in which it's said; it doesn't add anything to how the quote illustrates Hermione's character, at least in my opinion.
Please let me know your thoughts on these matters. Oread 23:28, 6 December 2008 (UTC)
Hey Patr0nus, I have noticed that you have done monumental edits to the Forest of Dean article. Could you contribute to Fred Weasley Project as this project needs a FANTASTIC user like yourself. Badges are up for grabs! Cheers! -- Madam Hooch(Which Broomstick)
- Would you like me to make you a sig? -- Hellabore
Thanks Patr0nus 16:27, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
Please give me the following details so I can make you a sig:
Two Favourite colors: File:
Blue and Turquoise and I dun have a file.. Patr0nus 21:03, 22 May 2009 (UTC)
Here is your sig: Patr0nus(Expecto Patronum)
Thanks, it's great Patr0nus 08:02, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
If you want to, I don't really mind... Patr0nus 08:03, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
Hey Patr0nus, to things. Firstly if an image does not fit in the infobox at 250px please don't force it as you did with all four founders, as this results in the images being distorted. Secondly when possible we always use images from the films over any other source, which is why the image of Salazar Slytherin's painting goes in his infobox rather than the Wizard of the Month image. So please don't change those images again, thanks for listening. Jayce Carver Talk 06:49, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
Firstly, I will admit to be protective of this article. I worked hard on it, and I make sure that it adheres to the highest quality since it is one of our Featured Articles. But in response to your "You seem hostile to allowing change to this page" statement, I offer the following rebuttal: I did not remove the "Legacy" section you added since it is a good addition. The quote change at the head of the Little Hangleton Graveyard section was not removed. The parts I removed were for a reason, which I will explain here. The addition of the picture of the Hufflepuff seeker from PoA was removed because the books take precedence over the films; the book has no mention of his getting hit by lightning, meaning that it did not happen. As you state on the talk page, you wish to add the film to his appearance list. I would not oppose that, as long as it is marked with a "Possible Appearance" tag, and the reasoning clearly explained in the Behind the scenes section. This would also be an appropriate place for the image, not in the main article body itself.
As for the "no quotes in the middle of the article" - I believe they break up the flow of the article if used in the body, and should really only be used after section headings. The breaking up of the paragraphs was unnecessary and broke up the flow of the beginning of the article in terms of presentation. Lastly, I removed the part about his presence at the World Cup campsite because it is speculation. Speculation is not allowed in articles on this wiki. I hope this answers your questions. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 19:29, 6 June 2009 (UTC)
Order of Merlin
|Order of Merlin (Third Class)|
|The Order of Merlin is awarded to you by Nick O'Demus for having over one-thousand edits on the Harry Potter Wiki.|
Congratulations on being made a REAL prefect. Jayden Matthews 15:02, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks, I've done my practise week as one (patrolling the corridors etc;) in 6 weeks time I start my duties. I get a cool new school tie now aswell, instead of a grey and green stripy tie it's a nice green with a crest on it. :D Patr0nus 15:11, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- Cool! Do you have to make a speech? I remember at my old school new prefects had to make a speech in front of their whole house, saying what they were going to bring to the school etc. Jayden Matthews 15:27, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
Hey Patr0nus, sorry to bother you I just thought I'd better explain about the Death Eaters. That article on IMBD was based on the discussion Forum:Unknown Death Eaters and is incorrect. Please see Forum:Incorrectly identified Death Eaters for more information. Thanks :D Jayden Matthews 10:13, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
Also, nice image of Macnair! I don't suppose there any of the others from the same source? Jayden Matthews 10:47, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
Sorry, I don't and thanks for clearing it up. Patr0nus 11:01, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
Shame, not to worry. Jayden Matthews 11:03, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
Bloody good job on expanding Flitwick's article. I think it could be just about ready for FA. Jayden Matthews 13:14, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks :D Patr0nus 13:59, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
I think a discussion would be more prudent than swapping the images back and forth. Looking at the article's history, there was never any vote to decide the main image, and last time I looked two people are not a majority, and Cavalier One has yet to comment on the new image. I really can't see any reason why the new one should not go in the infobox, it's vastly superior to the old one in every way imaginable: It's better quality, better lit, better facial expression, it has a neutral backround and shows Cedric in the clothes he was wearing when he died. If you really feel the old one is better, however, then we may need to vote on this. Jayden Matthews 15:02, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- Well, actually it's soley your opinion that tells you the image you uploaded is superior without any evidential backup. And last time I checked, 2 people agreeing over something is a majority over the 1 person disagreeing, thank you. Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 16:23, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
I was actually trying to be polite by dicussing this with you, rather than reverting your edits outright. The image's resoloution says it's better quality than the current one. And no, according to the site's voting policy two people are not a majority. And even if they were, no formal discussion has taken place so it doesn't count. Again, if you really feel the current one is better than the new one, please take it to the vote. Jayden Matthews 16:48, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- I don't believe I was being impolite, I believe I was being truthful and fair I've gone to vote. Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 20:16, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
Hi, Patronus. I just wanted to apologize if I was a bit snappy with you over Cedric Diggory's main image. It wasn't my intention, honestly. I was angry about something else that had occured earlier that day, and I brought my bad temper with me to the wiki, and I shouldn't have done. And for that, I apologize. I hope we can still be friends. See you later. :) Jayden Matthews 11:59, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
Myrtle promo pics
- They are Goblet of Fire Promotional images of Myrtle. Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 21:21, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
House Points Game, 2nd term
Hello! Just to let you know, we're starting a new round of the Harry Potter Wiki House Points Game on September 15th, and we need some new members! By helping to improve the Wiki, you can earn points toward winning the House Cup. Just add your name under your favorite House on this page to join. We hope to see you soon! - Nick O'Demus 10:14, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Unfortunately, Jayden Matthews has recently suffered a loss in his family. We've made a Condolences Card for him, and we'd like to get as many people to sign it as we can. Thank you. - Nick O'Demus 19:39, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
The only way I know of is if you look at your contributions list, anything marked with a bold N next to it is something new: new article created, new picture uploaded, new talk page started, new category, new template, etc. I see you've got lots of newly uploaded pictures, but if you're just looking for articles and the like, I found these:
- Alex Palmer
- Angus Matloch (Was merged with Angus Matlock)
- Katherine MacDougal
- Memorial Feast to Cedric Diggory
- Olivia Higginbottom
- Paschal Friel
- Philip Rham
- Potions Club
- Potions Club girl
- Richard Rosson
- Siobhan Ellen Williams
- The Spiny Serpent
- Unidentified female Death Eater at Little Hangleton
- Unidentified female Hufflepuff student
- Unidentified female teacher
- Unidentified Gryffindor girl 1
- Unidentified Gryffindor girl 2
- Category:Images of Inquisitorial Squad
- Category:Images of Unidentified dark lady
- Category:Images of Unidentified female teacher
Nick O'Demus 17:09, September 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks so much! Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 16:54, September 2, 2009 (UTC)
Unidentified female teacher 2
If you want to see the professor, follow [| this link] to 'Troll in the Dungeon [HD]'. Pause the video at 19 or 20 seconds. She's on Dumbledore's left. Butterfly the rabbit 19:00, September 13, 2009 (UTC)
It's not pointless. I just want to watch those articles (send me notice if other users edit those pages in the future) and it doesn't work if i haven't done something in the page. --ÈnŔîčö DC(Send me an Owl!) 00:13, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
Re: Category talk:Unidentified individuals
There is a new discussion in the forums about setting a policy, or at least some guidelines, on articles for unidentified individuals. You can add your opinions here. - Nick O'Demus 09:57, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
Sorry for the very late response :$
Well all i just did was sending a letter to Warner Bros long before shooting started :)
Firstly, I uploaded both images, so which ever one is used really doesn't bother me that much. I simply saw that image and thought it suited the infobox better. Secondly, I think it's a bit unfair to say I caused "trouble and drama" over Cedric's main image. I asked the community to vote because there was a disagrement over the image I uploaded, and my image won over yours. The fact that this is still an issue for you confirms my beleif that you've been holding a petty grudge all this time, which is why you've gone out of your way to vote against my proposals and revert my changes at every oppertunity. Jayden Matthews 20:35, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
Stop acting like a spoiled brat. I've held my tongue until now, but your snide attidue towards other members of this site has forced me to speak out. Anyone can change an image if they wish. If there is a major disagreement, then yes we vote on it. Your sense of ownership of images you upload is unnaceptable. You consistently revert changes made to your edits without giving reasons. And when anyone fights back you run of crying as you did with Tom Riddle. –K.A.J•T•C•E• 21:10, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
- I think you need to remember you're arguing with me over the internet, I can't exactly 'run off crying' :L Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 23:02, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
- It was a euphamism for you behaviour towards others. –K.A.J•T•C•E• 23:06, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
- Likewise to you, you seem to always be getting involved in things that don't concern you really when it involves the user Jayden_Matthews, I've noticed it a lot, for example with this whole Bellatrix image thing, Jayden was told twice and despite this you still went ahead and tried changing it, what was up with that? Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 23:08, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
- It was a euphamism for you behaviour towards others. –K.A.J•T•C•E• 23:06, December 22, 2009 (UTC)
Order of Merlin
|Order of Merlin (Second Class)|
|The Order of Merlin is awarded to you by Nick O'Demus for having over two-thousand edits on the Harry Potter Wiki.|
Nick O'Demus 14:50, March 12, 2010 (UTC)
Hello and thanks for you message!
The new promotional images come from Oclumencia's Gallery, but actually is offline for problems with the server.I hope to have helped!
Pol 871 19:54, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
the oclumencia's gallery is available now.Pol 871 17:47, August 2, 2010 (UTC)
Hi! I saw that you had an infobox on your profile. How did you get it? Because everytime I try to put one on mine it just says "infobox does not exist". Can you help me?
Webshowmaker7535 18:04, March 8, 2011 (UTC)Webshowmaker7535
We're also WAY behind on some of our featured content, especially the QOTW's and DYK's, so if you've got a couple of minutes, drop in and voice your opinions on any you like or dislike, and maybe we can get some of the backlog cleared out.
Thanks. - Nick O'Demus 09:10, April 25, 2011 (UTC)
Why Marietta Edgecombe in a unconfirmed picture looks like emo and freaky and impoverished!
HOW DID YOU FIND THE PICTURE OF MARIETTA! SHE LOOKS LIKE FREAKY AND LOOKS LIKE SHES ON POVERTY!
I am wondering where you got this image from:
as it is not in the film, and none of the deleated scenes I have seen, I was wondering if I had missed out a few? please let me know
220.127.116.11 22:36, January 1, 2012 (UTC)
Hey do you upload photos on here?
I need to know where to find something?
Hello, i was wondering where you got the screenshot of the memory where James Potter asks out Lily Evans.
Here's the link: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Lily_Evans