Please leave all messages at the bottom of the page and remember to sign your name. Thank you.
- Thank you very much again for improving my write-ups. HAPPY EASTER by the way! ----ÈnŔîčö (Send me an Owl) 21:29, 11 April 2009 (UTC)
This is just a message to let you know that the House Points Game is now up and running at Harry Potter Wiki:House points. As a Prefect, you can begin giving points, as well as encouraging your House and helping to direct its collaborative work at Ravenclaw Tower. If you see someone with a Ravenclaw userbox on their userpage who hasn't joined the game yet, feel free to drop them a note. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 08:34, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
- I've also awarded you 10 points for staying on top of the discussion at Forum:Black Family in Slytherin. :) ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 10:12, 19 April 2009 (UTC)
Re: 15 Points
Is Werewolf a blood-status? I thought not but I could be wrong. Also if your a Werewolf isn't that it, I know that look Human most of the time but that doesnt make them Human. Jayce Carver Talk 19:16, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
It's a trick one. I'd say that it definately shouldn't be listed as a blood status, after all we know Lupin was a Half-Blood despite being a Werewolf. As for the species I think it should be like this
- Human (formely)
I think that would be the most accurate way to do it. If we consider them to be Werewolves and Humans simalteiniously the same would be true for Vampires Hags etc, I think the Lexicon mixed it's facts up on this one, unless they have a source for it. Jayce Carver Talk 21:41, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- I think last time this came up we decided it was not a blood status. -- DarkJedi613 (Talk) 21:44, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- Blood status is something acquired from one's parents. We know lycanthropy is not inheritable, because Teddy Lupin is not a werewolf. I agree with Jayce that "Werewolf" should be listed in the species field of an infobox instead, but I think it should be in the format "Human/werewolf," because a werewolf is still human, not someone who used to human, like a ghost. Werewolves only transform into their wolf form on the night of the full moon; the rest of the month they are human. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 21:55, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- I agree that 'werewolf' cannot be a blood status. I'm not sure that it's impossible to inherit, though. Teddy was not a werewolf, but Remus seemed to think there was a considerable possibility that he would be. Here is the passage from Chapter 11 of Deathly Hallows:
- “Even her own family is disgusted by our marriage, what parents want their only daughter to marry a werewolf? And the child – the child – ”
- Lupin actually seized handfuls of his own hair; he looked quite deranged.
- “My kind don’t usually breed! It will be like me, I am convinced of it – how can I forgive myself, when I knowingly risked passing on my own condition to an innocent child? And if, by some miracle, it is not like me, then it will be better off, a hundred times so, without a father of whom it must always be ashamed!”
- Remus was obviously not terribly rational at the time, so he might have been wrong. I'm only curious because we don't actually know if Greyback was bitten, or born a werewolf. Oread (talk) 22:03, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- I think that Remus' statement that werewolves don't usually have children tells us a lot. Without a lot of cases on which to base scientific research, werewolf reproduction would be poorly understood, and where there are no solidly-known facts, misconceptions and downright hysteria form. Remus' fear that his future child would be born a werewolf was the natural product of scientific uncertainty and societal prejudice.
- But, although we know Teddy didn't inherit his father's lycanthropy, I suppose we cannot completely rule out the possibility that a person could be born a werewolf. Teddy's case may simply have been the luck of the draw, because he had a werewolf father, rather than a werewolf mother. I've always wondered what effect lycanthropy would have on pregnancy; at the very least, I imagine the trauma of the monthly transformation would cause an increase in miscarriages and birth defects, if it did not pose an actual risk of transmitting the infection. There was a true-or-false question on the W.O.M.B.A.T. test, and one of the possible answers was, "If a werewolf mates at the full moon, they will produce a cub rather than a human baby." This raises the possibility that timing is key to whether a werewolf's child inherits his or her parent's lycanthropy. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 23:14, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
- Also, during The Lexicon trial, Rowling revealed that Remus' lycanthropy was a metaphor for HIV:
- "I know that I've said publicly that Remus Lupin was supposed to be on the H.I.V. metaphor. It was someone who had been infected young, who suffered stigma, who had a fear of infecting others, who was terrified he would pass on his condition to his son. And it was a way of examining prejudice, unwarranted prejudice towards a group of people. And also, examining why people might become embittered when they're treated that unfairly."
- I'm not sure what this means for the possibility that lycanthropy is inheritable, but it does confirm my speculation that wizarding society had "unwarranted prejudice" when it came to werewolves, and that this is what made Remus fear for Teddy. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 23:33, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
Excuse me, are you a veteran here? As you are a prefect in this House Points Game, I assume that you are. If so, would you mind giving an opinion on something?
Imperial Misanthrope 4:23am 22nd April 2009
Well you see, I edited the page Centaurs, adding the section "Mannerisms", as no one had mentioned the temperaments or personality traits of centaurs on the whole. Unfortunately, there is no feed-back to any edits anyone does here, the most one can hope for is that someone modifies it a little, instead of ignoring it, or just plain deleting it (Which I think highly rude).
As such, I sought you out as an experienced individual to perhaps give some feed back on this edit of mine, as it is rather more than fixing a grammar mistake, or a minor canon infarction.
Imperial Misanthrope 5:12am 22nd April 2009
... Right, so, you suggest removing the quotes from within the descriptive text, then? *Looks up in mild interest*
Imperial Misanthrope 5:12am 22nd April 2009
Oooh I see, my utilising the present tense makes it seem as though I am speaking from within the confines of the Harry Potter universe, instead of an outside observatory status as a reader. Righto then. If you don't mind however, I speak in the present tense, because the centaurs aren't gone, per se, they can never be gone, so are in effect still in existence, and as such should be spoken of in the present tense. Events, as you say, should be spoken of in the past tense, as they happened, are not happening. It's one of the things my most recent English teacher has take a somewhat pedantic air towards; the regarding of the time-tenses towards fictional books.
Imperial Misanthrope 3:17am 23rd April, 2009
I'm just letting you know that I've transferred the 15 points you awarded to Cubs Fan2007 from Hufflepuff to Gryffindor. Cubs Fan2007 has agreed to become the second Gryffindor Prefect due to the fact that no one else signed up as a Hufflepuff in the past few days. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 05:54, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
One other thing
How is it that one makes an article here? I can't seem to find where one does it on this particular wiki
Imperial Misanthrope 2:20am April 24th 2009
I thank you, and I do have one additional question that just occurred to me. On other sites, I have created templates for my own signature, is it permitted on this site too? I have not found any rules on the subject
Imperial Misanthrope 3:44am April 24th 2009
I've started two discussions at Harry Potter Wiki talk:House points which may be of special interest to Prefects. If you have the time, I'd appreciate your comments. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 12:11, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
I have just nominated Quidditch pitch to become a featured article. Is it possible for you to expand it a bit and clean it up. When you have finished expanding it is it possible you can vote it to become a featured article. Could you please tell me if you are able to do so? Cheers! --- Madam Hooch(Which Broomstick)
Hey Oread, it's Madam Hooch. Would you like to find out you wand wood and core. Please go to my userpage and try it out as I really want someone to try it out. Cheers! -- Madam Hooch(Which Broomstick)
Fred Weasley project
- Please could you join, at the moment, because we need a huge cleanup of the sections Personal Prossesions and Magical Abilities and skills and this project could use a member like you! Also house-points and badges are up for grabs! Cheers and best wishes, Madam Hooch(Which Broomstick)
- Could you got to the project talk page to pick which job you wish to do. Cheers! -- Madam Hooch(Which Broomstick)
Points for new articles
This is a message to let Prefects know that the House Points Game policy page has been updated to include guidelines for how many points to give for article creation. Please consult this when giving points in the future. Thanks! ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 11:27, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
Due to the inactivity of Me Potter Fan and Freakatone, we are conducting a vote to decide on a new admin. You, Starstuff, and Seth Cooper will be in the running. Are you interested?--Matoro183 (Talk) 23:48, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds good. We'll set up some sort of voting page soon. -- DarkJedi613 (Talk) 01:42, 14 May 2009 (UTC)
Yeah sorry about that. I noticed it and was going to sort it out but I had a family crisis I had to sort out. Sorry. Have you deleted the images coz I cant (im not an admin on this wiki).Matta jr 22:06, 25 May 2009 (UTC)
Cool, thanks :DMatta jr 08:39, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
Project Fred Weasley:Possessions
I'm working on the possessions section of Fred Weasley article for Project Fred Weasley, in User:Quidditch Lover/parchment. Could you help expand it? If you would be able to help out, please answer on User talk:Quidditch Lover/parchment. Thanks! Quidditch Lover (My talk)(contribs) 04:31, 8 June 2009 (UTC)
Did You Know?..
Vote For Me In Did You Know?... http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Template_talk:DYK
--Bongo2009 18:07, 21 July 2009 (UTC)
House Points Game, new term
As you may know, the next round of the House Points Game starts on September 15th, and we'd like to know if you are interested in continuing in your role as Ravenclaw Prefect. Please contact either me or Starstuff with your decision. Thank you. - Nick O'Demus 09:29, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Please respond if you get this message. If we can't confirm that you intend to continue as a Ravenclaw Prefect, we'll need someone else to fill the position. - Nick O'Demus 13:31, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
Hi I was wondering how to become a raven claw. I tried already but I didn't understand. --Nevillefan007 20:32, September 3, 2009 (UTC)nevillefan007
New HPG guidelines
I've added some new guidelines (based on suggestions from Nick O'Demus) on the amount of points that should be given for certain types of contributions to the House Points Game policy page. Please review these new guidelines, and if you have any concerns or ideas for improvement, feel free to let me know. Thanks! ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 23:55, September 19, 2009 (UTC)
New HPG term has started
This is just a message to let you know that the new term of the House Points Game started at 00:00 September 20 (UTC). As a Prefect, you can begin giving points, as well as encouraging your House and helping to direct its collaborative work at Ravenclaw Tower. If you see someone with a Ravenclaw userbox on their userpage who hasn't joined the game yet, feel free to drop them a note.
Harry Potter Wiki Twitter account
Hello Oread, Long time no talk and edits huh :) Today, i just want to inform you that recently i created a Twitter account dedicated to Harry Potter Wiki; The username is @HPWiki. What do you think about it? And also, please let me know if you also have a twitter account. --ÈnŔîčö DC(Send me an Owl!) 07:13, January 18, 2010 (UTC)