A hand that moves by itself
Dean Thomas was a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, from 1991 to 1998. He was good friends with his fellow Gryffindor student Seamus Finnigan, and shared a dormitory with him, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Neville Longbottom. At the end of his fifth year he began dating Ron's younger sister Ginny Weasley, though they eventually broke-up. He was one of the members of Dumbledore's Army. He also served as a temporary substitute Chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, during 1996.
Dean was born in London in 1980 to a Muggle mother and a Wizard father. His father, who never told his mother he was a wizard in the interest of protecting her, walked out on the family and was killed by Death Eaters for refusing to join them. Dean was thus raised by his mother and stepfather, believing that he was from a pure Muggle background. He lived a happy home life, with a number of half-brothers and sisters. When the letter from Hogwarts arrived, Dean's mother suspected that his father might have been a wizard, though it is unknown if she ever discovered the truth.
Time at Hogwarts
Dean started school at Hogwarts in 1991, he was sorted into Gryffindor house.
The Second War
Dean is a tall black Londoner boy, he is even taller then Ron, and has black hair.
Personality and traits
Dean is a big supporter of the West Ham United Football team; having a poster of them above his dormitory bed, and wearing pajamas in the team’s colours. he is also good at drawing and writing. He can forge signatures quite well, and once offered to do so, for Harry, so that he could enter into Hogsmeade.
Behind the scenes
- Dean is played by Alfred Enoch in the films.
- Dean's first name was originally going to be Gary, though it was changed to Dean before the completion of Philosopher's Stone.
- Dean's description and sorting are included only in the American version of the novel, because the editor of the U.K. version felt the chapter was already too long and removed any extraneous details.
- Dean was originally going to be with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville during their adventure in chapter nine of Philosopher’s stone called The Midnight Duel. There is a picture of this on J.K. Rowling’s official website; in the picture he is under the name of Gary implying that this was part of an early draft.
- Dean's back story was originally included in an early draft of Chamber of Secrets, though it was cut as Rowling thought it "felt like an unnecessary digression". This back-story never made it into the books, though it is hinted at slightly in Deathly Hallows.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows