An example of Untransfiguraton was given in Harry Potter's first Transfiguration class, in 1991, when Professor Minerva McGonagall Transfigured her desk into a pig, and the pig back to a desk. Also in 1993 when Remus Lupin and Sirius Black changed Peter Pettigrew from a rat back into his usual human appearance.
Behind the scenes
- According to W.O.M.B.A.T., it may not be possible to Untransfigure a person or object without knowing what they were originally. However, in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, when Draco Malfoy is turned into a ferret, Professor McGonagall Untransfigures him while only knowing that it was a student, not who it was specifically. This implies that either one does not need to know very specific details about what the object was before Transfiguration or that she guessed it was Malfoy due to his absence from his usual gang.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Untransfiguration)
- Pottermore (Indirect mention)