Unplottability refers to the deliberate concealment of several areas around the world. Unplottable locations are either magically hidden from plain sight or simply removed on maps. Common reasons for unplottability are for individual safety and the protection of certain secrets, particularly within the schools of wizardry.
Known unplottable locations
- Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, the Durmstrang Institute, and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry have all been rendered unplottable with powerful magic to protect their students and secrets from Muggles and Dark wizards. How this would help Hogwarts defend themselves from other schools is unclear - as it is known to be near Hogsmeade, which is in fact Plottable.
- 12 Grimmauld Place was made Unplottable to hide the House of Black and, later, the Order of the Phoenix.
- The Room of Requirement is regarded as Unplottable due to its absence on the Marauder's Map.
- The Isle of Drear is Unplottable because of its native and highly dangerous Quintapeds.
- Azkaban is located on an Unplottable island in the middle of the North Sea to isolate it from the rest of the world.
- Several forests in Burkina Faso, Africa have been made unplottable by the Burkina Faso Ministry of Magic to preserve inhabiting Runespoors.
- Queerditch Marsh is Unplottable to preserve its historic significance.
Behind the scenes
- J. K. Rowling stated that wizards could make themselves untraceable in a manner similar to making buildings Unplottable, so that they could not be found by someone simply sending them an owl.
- The map on the current signed-in home page on Pottermore depicts two Unplottable locations: Hogwarts Castle and the Isle of Drear. The reason behind this is unclear, though it may simply be artistic licence, as the map features other inaccuracies, such as London and Hogsmeade being very close.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard