|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
In 1994, she attended the Welcoming Feast held for the arrival of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, as well as the Yule Ball. Her lessons were presumably evaluated by Dolores Umbridge the following year, during which she sat by Sybill Trelawney at the Start-of-Term Feast. She later attended the Slug Club Christmas party in 1996.
Career at Hogwarts
1994–1995 school year
- "When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their house tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats."
Later, the Professor watched the delegations from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and Durmstrang Institute arrive at Hogwarts Castle for the Triwizard Tournament. After they arrived, she and the rest of the staff made their way to the Great Hall for the Welcoming Feast, during which she spent some of her time writing in a book. She watched the foreign students with interest, and smiled warmly when Albus Dumbledore greeted Igor Karkaroff as a friend.
On 31 October, she watched the Goblet of Fire select Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum become champions of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang respectively, and then Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter both become champions of Hogwarts. She did not seem quite as confused as her colleagues following the fourth champion's selection.
Later on in the year, shortly before Christmas, the Professor oversaw a study session in the Great Hall, as did several other colleagues, including Severus Snape, who she apparently disliked. It is possible that she did this in addition to her teaching duties.
At Christmas, the Professor attended the Yule Ball and stood by Professor Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, Severus Snape, Igor Karkaroff, and a fellow colleague. As the four champions opened the dance. She smiled when Dumbledore took to the floor with McGonagall.
1995–1996 school year
- "Dumbledore clapped. The staff followed his lead, though Harry noticed that several of them brought their hands together only once or twice before stopping."
During the 1995–1996 school year, the Professor once again attended the Start-of-Term Feast, sitting by a black wizard and Sybill Trelawney. She listened with interest to Dolores Umbridge's speech, despite being distracted by Trelawney's appalling table manners. Though some of the staff "brought their hands together only once or twice before stopping", the Professor did not clap at all.
That year, the Professor's classes were presumably inspected by Umbridge following her employment as Hogwarts High Inquisitor. If so, Umbridge must have believed that she was a competent teacher, as she was not suspended.
1996–1997 school year
When Dumbledore announced Horace Slughorn's reinstatement as Potions Master, she applauded merrily and smiled at him. However, she did not applaud when Severus Snape was declared Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts.
Shortly before Christmas, the Professor went to the Hogwarts Library, looking for books, scanning the shelves while walking down the aisle. After only a fraction of a minute, she had found the books she needed and left the library with the books levitating after her.
Weeks later, the Professor attended the Slug Club Christmas party held by her apparent friend and colleague, Horace Slughorn. She was arm-in-arm with a white-haired wizard when Argus Filch interrupted the party, dragging Draco Malfoy with him. After Snape led him out, the Professor carried on with the party and smiled to Flora and Hestia Carrow.
After the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, the Professor raised her wand along with the other Professors and students to show respect for Albus Dumbledore and to vanquish the Dark Mark.
1997–1998 school year
The Professor apparently continued to teach at Hogwarts during the 1997–1998 school year, during which Severus Snape, whom the Professor appeared not to like, was made Headmaster following the Death Eater coup over the Ministry of Magic.
On 1 May, Harry Potter arrived in the Castle to destroy one of Voldemort's Horcruxes, but the Battle of Hogwarts began soon after. The female teacher appeared behind Harry looking frightened. The Professor helped defend Hogwarts Castle, partaking in the fighting.
She did not live to see the end of the battle at dawn of 2 May. At some point before Voldemort temporarily called back his forces, the Professor was killed, presumably by means of the Killing Curse, as she showed no signs of external injury. Her body was brought to the Great Hall, where Sybill Trelawney, assisted by Padma Patil, covered her corpse with a sheet.
The Professor was a tall witch with white skin, brown eyes, and brown hair. She appeared to have a fondness for the colour red during social occasions, such as the Yule Ball and the Slug Club Christmas party, and black for everyday school-wear. She normally had her hair out with a plait but sometimes had it in other hairstyles.
Personality and traits
The Professor was an intelligent person, as shown when she appeared to decode Dolores Umbridge's cryptic speech and refused to clap for her. She also seemed to have a dislike for Severus Snape, not applauding his employment as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, while happily clapping and smiling for Horace Slughorn's return.
Her soft side showed when Dumbledore embraced Igor Karkaroff, smiling warmly, and when she went arm-in-arm with a white-haired wizard during the Christmas party. She may have also been bookish, as she wrote in a book instead of watching some of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang's students rehearsed entrances, and when she visited the library during 1996.
The Professor appeared to have a good relationship with the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. She stood beside him during the Yule Ball, and grinned to herself when he took to the floor with Minerva McGonagall. She also sat by him during the 1996–1997 school year Start-of-Term Feast.
She also seemed to be friendly with Horace Slughorn, Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House. She applauded happily (which was a rarity in itself) for him after he took his old job back, and attended his Christmas party.
The Professor may also have had a relationship of sorts with Sybill Trelawney, a Seer and Divination teacher. She sat by her during the Start-of-Term Feast of 1995, and Trelawney was the one that tended to her dead body during the hour-long break during the Battle of Hogwarts.
However, she seemed to be unfriendly with Severus Snape and Dolores Umbridge, neither of whom did she clap for during their respective announcements of becoming Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, despite applauding for Professor Slughorn.
Slytherin members also had some sort of relationship with her. Although she disliked Snape, she smiled at Flora and Hestia Carrow at the Slug Club Christmas party. The professor also seemed to like Horace Slughorn because once she clapped for him but refused to clap for anyone else.
Behind the scenes
- She may be Bathsheda Babbling. However, she could be an as of yet unidentified teacher or a recasting of Septima Vector, Aurora Sinistra or Irma Pince. Alternatively, she may be the teacher of Advanced Arithmancy Studies, Ancient Studies, Art, Muggle Art, Ghoul Studies, Magical Theory or Xylomancy.
- The Professor may be a member of the Astronomy, Herbology or Transfiguration departments.
- Another possibility is that the Professor taught Alchemy.
- The Professor attended the "raise-wand" scene in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- On the 2nd May 1998, she had two different hair styles. The first one was curly while her hair was straight when she died. That would be impossible as the battle of Hogwarts took place on that day.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Appears on a collectible card)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears on a photo for additional materials)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 As the Professor was employed at Hogwarts by 1994, she must have been of age (17) by then.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 It can be assumed that the Professor was pure or half-blood, as she was not sent to Azkaban during Pius Thicknesse's tenure as Minister for Magic.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Professor can be seen wearing a wedding ring in all of her appearances. See this image for an example.
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 5.16 5.17 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 7.16 7.17 7.18 7.19 7.20 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film), the Professor can be seen overseeing the Great Hall during the students' study session. Several other individuals can be seen doing this, most notably Severus Snape.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Deleted scene from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)