Described as a fabulous castle, the building is an imposing square edifice of golden rock, often compared to a temple. The school itself is bewitched to appear as a ruin to Muggles, and both building and grounds are protected by Caipora.
During Armando Dippet's tenure as Hogwarts Headmaster, he was visited by Benedita Dourado, then-Headmistess of Castelobruxo. When Dippet complained about the antics of Peeves the Poltergeist, Dourado offered to send him some Caipora to show him "what trouble really is" (the offer was not accepted).
Bill Weasley once had a pen-pal who attended this school. He wanted him to participate in a student exchange programme, but the Weasley family was unable to afford the trip. Offended, he sent Bill a cursed hat which made his ears shrivel up.
- Libatius Borage (graduated)
- João Coelho (graduated)
- William Weasley's Brazilian pen-friend (possibly graduated)
Students at Castelobruxo wear bright green robes.
Etymology and pronunciation
- The name of this school is derived from the Portuguese words "castelo", meaning "castle", and "bruxo", meaning "wizard", thus literally translating as "wizard castle", or "Wizardcastle".
- The pronunciation of Castelobruxo is /kas.ˈtɛ.lu ˈbɾuʃʊ/ or, as rendered on Pottermore, "Cass - tell - o - broo - shoo". This conforms to the original Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation.
- It's interesting to note that, while Castelobruxo's entry at Pottermore implies that the institution is just as old as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the Portuguese colonisation of Brazil only started in the 15th century. This suggests that the school was founded by indigenous peoples some five hundred years before colonisation, when the country was a vast region of thousands of tribes of different ethnicities, also possibly linking the school to shamanistic magic and rituals. The Portuguese name might, therefore, be a byproduct of the Marquis of Pombal's 1758 ban on Brazilian indigenous languages.
Notes and references
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|