Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Firenze: "Harry Potter, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?"
- Harry Potter: "No. We've only used the horn and tail hair in Potions."
- — Firenze asks Harry Potter a very serious question[src]
Unicorn hair was a magical substance with a variety of uses, originating on the body of a unicorn but frequently being shedded.
Unicorn hair can be used in wandmaking; they produce the most consistent magic, least subject to fluctuations and blockages, most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts and the most faithful of wands. However, they do not make the most powerful of wands and are prone to melancholy if mishandled. Garrick Ollivander made wands with unicorn hairs.
- Unicorn tail hairs are used in potions, though their exact uses and properties are unknown. This was commented on by Harry Potter during conversation with Firenze.
- Rubeus Hagrid found that unicorn hairs could be used to bind bandages.
Wands with unicorn hair cores
Behind the scenes
- Unicorn hair is worth ten Galleons for each hair, according to Horace Slughorn. However, this may be inaccurate as he was drunk and a wand (which may contain such a hair) only costs seven.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)