Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Underwear are clothes worn under other clothes, often next to the skin, in order to keep outer garments from being soiled by bodily secretions and discharges, shape the body, and provide support for parts of it. In cold weather, long underwear is sometimes worn to provide additional warmth.
Types of underwear
Briefs, also known as Y-fronts, have an elasticised waistband at or near the wearer’s waist, and leg sections that end at or near the groin. Briefs are tighter, and hold the wearer’s genitals in a relatively fixed position. Mundungus Fletcher wore briefs in the 1990s. Pairs of briefs were amongst the items that the cheapest of Fred and George Weasleys' trick wands might turn into when waved.
Boxers have an elasticised waistband that is at or near the wearer’s waist, while the leg sections are fairly loose and extend to the mid-thigh. The waistbands of boxer shorts are usually wider than those of briefs. Ronald Weasley wore boxers in the late 1990s, as did Reginald Cattermole. Vincent Crabbe also used boxers, in 1993. In the 15th century, London tailor Snickerton was known to wear undergarments closely resembling modern-day boxers.
These are similar in style to boxer shorts, but are generally shorter and form-fitting like briefs; a hybrid between the two main types of male underwear. Harry Potter wore black boxer briefs in the 1990s, and George Weasley wore grey ones.
Some underwear are given special meaning and are sometimes worn at sporting events or the likes in order to attract luck to either a certain person or team. Sometimes a certain colour underwear is considered enough to make them lucky - such as yellow.
A brassiere, commonly referred to as a bra, is a woman’s undergarment. Bras are typically form-fitting and the primary purpose of a bra is to enhance the wearer’s comfort by supporting her breasts.
Behind the scenes
- In the PS1 version of the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter is attacked by washing machines which spits out underwear and other clothes.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ "Undergarment" on Wikipedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Chapter 3 (The Seven Potters)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - Chapter 22 (Sword of Gryffindor)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's Official Site (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)