- Ron: "An Unbreakable Vow? Nah, he can't have...Are you sure?"
- Harry: "Yes, I'm sure. What happens if you break it?"
- Ron: "You die."
- — Ron and Harry discuss the spell.[src]
Casting and effects
- "A thin tongue of brilliant flame issued from the wand and wound its way around their hands like a red-hot wire."
- —The light of the spell after the first clause.[src]
The Vow is cast by having two parties kneeling opposite each other and clasping right hands. A third must hold their wand, standing quite close to the pair holding hands, and place the tip of their wand onto the linked hands, as Bonder. Then, the first will ask a certain number of vows of the other, with the second accepting those terms; it is unknown what happens if he or she declines. Each time a term is accepted a thin stream of fire will be emitted from the Bonder's wand, weaving around the hands of the pair taking the vows.
Upon the vow being made, if the one who accepts the term breaks it, then they die.
- "Fred and George tried to get me to make one when I was about five. I nearly did too, I was holding hands with Fred and everything when Dad found us. He went mental, only time I've ever seen Dad as angry as Mum. Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since."
- —Ron describing his brothers' attempt to make him use the spell.[src]
In either 1985 or 1986, Fred and George Weasley attempted to convince their then five-year-old brother Ron to make an Unbreakable Vow with them. They were in fact poised to do so, with their wands out, holding hands and ready to cast the spell when their father discovered them. It was described as the only time he was as angry as his wife, and it is said that he did something which left Fred's left buttock never the same again; however, luckily their brother Ron was left unhurt, although he remembered the incident at least eleven years later.
- Snape: "You will need your wand, Bellatrix, and you will need to move a little closer."
- Narcissa: "Will you, Severus, watch over my son, Draco, as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lord's wishes?"
- Snape: "I will."
- Narcissa: "And will you, to the best of your ability, protect him from harm?"
- Snape: "I will."
- Narcissa: "And should it prove necessary... if it seems Draco will fail... will you carry out the deed that the Dark Lord has ordered Draco to perform?"
- Snape: "I will."
- — Severus and Narcissa's vow.[src]
In the summer of 1996, Severus Snape made an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy, the wife of Lucius Malfoy. Their Bonder was Bellatrix Lestrange, Narcissa's sister and a Death Eater. He promised to protect Draco Malfoy from harm and guide him whilst he attempted to perform the task the Dark Lord had asked him to do: to kill Albus Dumbledore.
Snape was actually a double agent working for Dumbledore, who requested Snape to kill him anyways to spare him of a painful and humiliating death. When Draco could not bring it in his heart to kill Dumbledore despite having him cornered, Snape fulfilled the vow with Narcissa to kill Dumbledore himself, simultaneously fulfilling his promise to Dumbledore of a mercy kill.
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown if this spell has an incantation; although the Bonder has to hold their wand to the participants' hands, it would seem at first as though the vows themselves may have been the incantation. However, it is also possible it was merely cast non-verbally.
- In the sixth film, the three rings of fire appear all at once, rather than appearing individually whenever a term is accepted. Whether or not more rings would appear if there were more terms to the vow remains unknown. They also leave a mark on the skin once they disappear.
- Several fans of the series have proposed to their significant others by cutting out pages of the book down to the chapter titled "The Unbreakable Vow", hiding an engagement ring inside the cutout, and giving it to them.
- J. K. Rowling jokingly made a "unbreakable vow" with Twitter user @maruaders that she would retweet one of his posts for her one thousandth tweet. She ended up upholding this vow.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7