At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Minister Ulick Gamp, the first Minister for Magic, was in office from 1707 to 1718 Previously head of the Wizengamot, Gamp had the onerous job of policing a fractious and frightened community adjusting to the imposition of the International Statute of Secrecy. His greatest legacy was to found the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. During Gamp's term, the Ministry outlawed the use of the Cruciatus, Imperius and Killing Curses, making them "unforgivable".
Gamp was elected Minister at least twice before resigning or being voted out of office in 1718.
He was depicted in a portrait hung at the Prime Minister's office at 10 Downing Street and, most likely, at the office of the Minister for Magic at the Ministry of Magic. It is highly probable that a Permanent Sticking Charm was placed on it, as the Muggle Prime Minister could never get the portrait off his wall, even with a builder to help. It served as a messenger between the Minister for Magic and the Muggle Prime Minister.
There was also a portrait of Ulick Gamp at the Leaky Cauldron. After a mountain troll that had been kept in Percival Shacklehorn's charmed tent escaped and smashed much of the pub, the bartender mistakenly hit the portrait with a Confundus Charm. The charred painting was subsequently retrieved and restored during the Ministry investigation that followed the disturbance, by Mathilda Grimblehawk and her partner.
Gamp was described as "little", "froglike" and wore purple robes and a silver curly wig.
Ulick is the Anglicised form of the Irish names Uilleac and Uilleag. There have been several Irish politicians and noblemen named Ulick.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (First identified as Ulick Gamp)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Appears in painting(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ ARTICLE - Add to Template:PM at Pottermore - Nobby Leach (Minister for Magic between 1962 and 1968) was the first Muggle-born wizard ever to be appointed to the office.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic" at Pottermore
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard - Albus Dumbledore on Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 1 (The Other Minister)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 2: The Smell of Fear, Act 3