|Length of average adult||
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
It is a bipedal breed, metallic grey in colour, with an immense wingspan, long talons and rough scales said to be as hard as steel. It is the largest breed of dragon which reaches up to six tons, and its eyes are deep red. Sometimes the eyes seem to be the same colour as its body because of a protective scale.
Rotund and slower in flight than other dragons, the Ironbelly is nevertheless extremely dangerous, capable of crushing dwellings on which it lands.
Known dragons of this species
- Ironbellies have been subject to constant observation by the Ukrainian wizarding authorities, ever since a particular Ironbelly carried off a sailing ship from the Black Sea in 1799. Thankfully, the boat was empty at the time.
- Gringotts Wizarding Bank owned a particular Ukrainian Ironbelly that guarded the Lestrange Vault and later broke free, with the help of Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger when they broke into the aforementioned vault.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) they use a Common Welsh Green instead of an Ukrainian Ironbelly to protect the said vault.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned only) (Not specified as Ukrainian Ironbelly)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned in Daily Prophet) (Not specified as Ukrainian Ironbelly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance) (Not specified as Ukrainian Ironbelly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (First identified as Ukrainian Ironbelly)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7