Dragon blood is the blood of any of the many species of dragon. It has a number of magical properties, and was fairly expensive to buy bottled. It has at least twelve uses, the discoveries of which are typically all credited to the famous Hogwarts headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, although Ivor Dillonsby claimed that he had already discovered eight of them and that Dumbledore "borrowed" his notes.
Dragon blood seems to have a notable taste, as Dumbledore was able to distinguish it from human blood by placing a small amount in his mouth in 1996. He was, however, the foremost expert on the substance, and the distinction may not have been notable to anyone else.
- In 1995, Rubeus Hagrid used dragon blood to help with his injuries after being attacked by giants.
- The very next year, Horace Slughorn used dragon blood to try to fool Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter, pretending to have been attacked by Death Eaters.
- Two of the listed uses are as an oven cleaner and spot remover.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the Order of the Phoenix book and film, dragon blood appears to be green, but then in the Half-Blood Prince book and film, as well as Pottermore, dragon blood appears to be scarlet. However this could simply be explained by the blood having come from different breeds of dragon.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game