Transylvania is a historical region in Eastern Europe. Today, it is part of Romania. It would seem in the wizard world Transylvania is an independent country from the country of Romania.
Not much is known about Transylvania's association with the Muggle world, but it does have its own Quidditch team. The Transylvanian National Quidditch team is known for having been one of the finalists in the first-ever Quidditch World Cup and more recently, in the 1994 World Cup, has beat the English National Quidditch team 390 to 10. However, they did not make it to the finals that year.
Behind the scenes
- Transylvania seems to be presented as an independent country in the Harry Potter series, even though this is not the case. In 1473 (when a seemingly-independent Transylvania got to the Quidditch World Cup final), it was part of the Kingdom of Hungary. After World War I, Transylvania became part of Romania (in 1940, Northern Transylvania reverted to Hungary, but it was reclaimed by Romania after the end of World War II).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)