Transformation or Transubstantial Transfiguration is the name given to a branch of Transfiguration that focuses on deforming the physical features of an object. It is not to be confused with Trans-species Transformation, though that is a type of transformation.
Transformation contains the following sub-groups all of which overlap with each other to varying degrees): human Transfiguration, defined by and named for the target being a human being; Switches, which simultaneously exchange features between organism; and the aforementioned Trans-Species Transformations, which refer to transformations that change organisms from one species to another.
Due to the applied, precise nature of Transfiguration magic there is a large potential for it to go disastrously wrong, even for the experts.
If transformation is done improperly, the Transfigured object can become half-Transfigured or permanently stuck in one state (whether fully or partially Transfigured); for example, Viktor Krum half-Transfigured himself once into a shark in the Second Task of The Triwizard Tournament in 1994 (although he was not stuck in that form, so it may have been intentional).
- Avifors Spell (Avifors): Transforms things into birds
- Cat into tea cosy: Transforms cats, and possibly Kneazles, into tea cozies
- Cauldron to Sieve: Transforms cauldrons into sieves
- Draconifors Spell (Draconifors): Transforms things into dragons
- Hardening Charm (Duro): Transforms things into stone
- Ears to kumquats: Transforms a person's ears into kumquats
- Vera Verto: Transforms animals into goblets
- Glass to sand shield: Transforms glass into sand.
- Incarcifors: Captures things
- Lapifors Spell (Lapifors): Transforms things into rabbits
- Match to needle: Transforms matches into needles
- Meddling Man to Monkey: Transforms a meddling man into a monkey
- Piscifors: Transforms things into fish
- Raven to Writing Desk
- Rock to dog: Transforms rocks into dogs
- Scribblifors: Transforms things into quills
- Smoke to daggers: Transforms smoke into daggers
- Small Child to Rat
- Snufflifors Spell (Snufflifors): Transforms things into mice
- Steelclaw: Transforms claws into steel
- Tentaclifors: Turns a person's head into a tentacle
- Teapot to ferret: Turns a teapot into a ferret
Trans-Species Transforming spells
- Human to pig
- Human to ferret
- Animagus reversal spell: Untransfiguration that returns an Animagus back into its human form
- Pullus: Jinx used to transfigure the target into a chicken or a goose
- Vermiculus: Jinx used to transfigure things into worms
- Ducklifors: Spell that transforms an organism into a duck
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Mistake)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only) (Transforming Spells and Cross-Species Switches)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (real) (Mentioned only) (Mentioned as Transubstantial Transfiguration)
Notes and references
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages (real)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 22 (The Unexpected Task)
- ↑ 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)'
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 15 (The Unbreakable Vow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2007/1217-pottercast-anelli.html Neville had a brief stint as an Auror