At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Transfiguration is a core class and subject taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It teaches the art of changing the form and appearance of an object or a person. This type of magic is commonly referred to as "Transfiguration" and is considered both complex and dangerous.
There are limits to Transfiguration, which are governed by Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration. There are also many branches, including Cross-Species Transfiguration and Human Transfiguration. This type of magic is regarded as "very hard work" and is "more scientific" than Charmswork. One has to get it exactly right for the transfiguration to be successful.
The professor of this subject for many years was Albus Dumbledore and later Minerva McGonagall. It is unknown who the teacher was before Professor Dumbledore and who took over when Professor McGonagall became headmistress of Hogwarts.
Transfiguration is a required subject for all first year to fifth year students, with the option of a N.E.W.T. (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test) course in sixth and seventh year. Minerva McGonagall was the Transfiguration Professor from 1956 until 1998, the year in which she became Headmistress of the school. Before her, Albus Dumbledore taught Transfiguration. It's unknown who became the Transfiguration professor after she became Headmistress of Hogwarts. McGonagall believes Transfiguration to be more elegant and superior to other types of magic.
Students practise actual transfigurations during classes. Accidents sometimes result in partial transfigurations and theoretical homework is sometimes assigned. The further into a student's education the more difficult the classwork and homework becomes.
In fifth year students take the Ordinary Wizarding Level examination, much of the year is spent learning Ordinary Wizarding Level material, as well as revisiting the past four years of lessons. As part of their Transfiguration O.W.L., students must sit a written exam, and then complete a practical exam, one of the questions on the written exam asks the definition of Switching spells and one aspect of the practical is Vanishment. In order to advance to N.E.W.T.-level for the final two years of education a student must achieve a high O.W.L. score of either 'Outstanding' or 'Exceeds Expectations' on their exam.
Like charms work, Transfiguration is achieved through concentration, precise wand movements, and the proper pronunciation of an incantation. However it is generally more difficult than Charms and requires great effort.
While Professor McGonagall was teaching the class, she was fair but strict, having no tolerance of silliness and threatening to dismiss any students who dared to fool around. She refused leniency for her students based on emotional circumstances. She insisted on giving Harry Potter homework despite his depression from a Divination class' death prediction, refused to let her students play games in her classroom for the upcoming Yule Ball (as Filius Flitwick did because his students were too distracted by the exciting events), and even Katie Bell knew full well that Minerva would give her homework on the day right after being discharged from St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries for a near-death experience.
She refused to accept any students into her N.E.W.T. classes unless they achieved at least 'Exceeds Expectations', believing that those who have anything below would be unable to cope with the increased coursework. Failure to hand in assigned homework may result in detention, as Draco Malfoy experienced after he failed twice during 1996.
Location and time
Transfiguration classes are held in Class 1 on the first-floor, Class 34 on the third-floor, Class 99 in the South Tower and Classroom 1B on the ground-floor, around the Middle Courtyard. Classroom 1B is big, surrounded by high windows, has four rows of three desks, and still has enough room for several cages and bookshelves, two chalkboards, and a desk for the teacher. Several candlesticks stand lit behind the desk.
- "He was supposed to be turning a beetle into a button, but all he managed to do was give his beetle a lot of exercise as it scuttled over the desk top avoiding his wand."
- —A lesson on turning beetles into buttons [src]
- "The guinea-fowl they had been changing into guinea-pigs had been shut away in a large cage on Professor McGonagall's desk (Neville's still had feathers)..."
- —After a lesson transformation[src]
- "So... today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.L."
- —1995 lesson on Vanishment[src]
- "Harry barely understood half of what Professor McGonagall said to them these days; even Hermione had to ask her to repeat instructions once or twice. "
- —The increased difficulty during sixth year[src]
Branches of Transfiguration
- Cross-Species Transfiguration (also known as Trans-Species Transfiguration)
- Human Transfiguration
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, one of the spells is a Transfiguration spell that turns victims into a toad or a rat.
- Both Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall served as Transfiguration Professor before becoming Headmaster.
- As revealed in Pottermore, J. K. Rowling had originally devised this class to be called "Transfiguration/Metamorphosis".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only) (Class list)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.K. Rowling at the Royal Albert Hall, 26 June 2003
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 1 (Year Two Begins) - Transfiguration Lesson "Reparifarge"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 6 (Bill Weasley) - Transfiguration Lesson "Spongify"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 9 (Wizards Unite!) - Transfiguration Lesson "Porcupine to Pin Cushion"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 3 (Three Broomsticks) - Transfiguration Lesson "Felifors"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 5 (Tulip Karasu) - Transfiguration Lesson "Duro"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 3 (All About Bowtruckles) - Transfiguration Lesson "Evanesco"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 10 (Seeing Red) - Transfiguration Lesson "Orchideous"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 12 (Working with Snape) - Transfiguration Lesson "Serpensortia"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 14 (The Spider's Lair) - Transfiguration Lesson "Colovaria"
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Hogwarts School Subjects" at Pottermore
|The Eleven Schools||Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools||Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations||First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes||Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes||Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes||Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|