Trans-Species Transformation is a sub-type of Transformation magic in which (presumably) one organism is either fully or partially Transfigured into another of a different species. It is moderately easy, O.W.L. magic and is taught to fourth-years and above at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Spells of this type seems to be easier if the animals in question have similar names, e.g. guinea fowl to guinea pigs.
Known instances of Trans-Species Transformation
- In 1994, fourth year Hogwarts students Transfigured guinea fowl into guinea pigs.
- In 1996, Hannah Abbott accidentally Transfigured her Ferret into a flock of flamingos in her Transfiguration O.W.L. exam.
- Blast-Ended Skrewts have been transfigured into ducklings and ravens, Dugbogs into ravens, Salamanders into rabbits, Vampyr Mosps into worms and Erklings into geese and chickens.
Known Cross-Species Transfiguration spells
- Avifors: turns target body into a flock of birds
- Ducklifors: turns Blast-Ended Skrewts into ducklings
- Lapifors: turns target body into a group of rabbits
- Piscifors: turns target creature into a fish
- Pullus: turns Erklings into geese
- Vermiculus: Turns Vampyr Mosps into worms
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Can be seen as Cross-Species)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Notes and references
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|