At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Torquil Travers was born somewhere in the British Isles into the Travers family, one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families published in the Pure-Blood Directory. Shortly before he embarked on his magical education, he obtained a wand around the age of eleven which he most likely purchased from Ollivander's Wand Shop like most other magical children. In his formative years, he were presumably educated at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, like most of the magical community.
After he left school, where he presumably did rather well for himself on his O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s, seen as how he was able to gain advancement over the course of his career, he joined the British Ministry of Magic and eventually became the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and had a seat on the Wizengamot. In 1927, he — accompanied by a number of Ministry wizards that included Theseus Scamander, Head of the Auror Office — arrived at Hogwarts Castle, cornering the then Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor in his own classroom, and questioned him about Newton Scamander's rumoured voyage to Paris.
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical skills: As a high-ranking Ministry official charged with overseeing and supervising a great many sub-departments- and divisions, not to mention effectively collaborate with other government authorities at the Ministry, Mr Travers would presumably be a reasonably competent wizard.
- Magical Law: As Head of Magical Law Enforcement, Mr Travers would be very knowledgeable on the laws, regulations and policies laid down by the Ministry, and have a seat at the Wizengamot.
- Apparition: He can Apparate at will.
- Torquil is an Anglicised form of the Norwegian and Swedish masculine name Torkel, and the Scottish Gaelic name Torcall, ultimately stemming from the Old Norse name Þorkell. This Old Norse name is made up of the two elements: Þór, meaning "Thor" the Norse god of thunder; and kell (in some variants ketill), meaning "(sacrificial) cauldron".
- Travers is an English and Irish surname that means "toll or tolltaker" (as on bridges), "traverser" (Norman: "to cross"), "skillful", or (in French) "from the crossroads."
Behind the scenes
- Torquil Travers will be played by Derek Riddell in the second instalment of the Fantastic Beasts film franchise.
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ The Travers family was part of the "Sacred Twenty-Eight," a group of respected pure-blood families listed in directory published in the 1930s, meaning Torquil was not a muggle or muggle-born. See Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Malfoy Family" at Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "“Crimes of Grindelwald” Set Visit: Inside the Prop Department with Pierre Bohanna
- ↑ Derek Riddell's profile on IMDb
- ↑ </nowiki>https://www.pottermore.com/news/next-fantastic-beasts-film-reveals-new-characters-including-nicolas-flamel