Point wand at target
In 1994, Draco Malfoy tried to use this hex on Harry Potter, but it struck Hermione Granger instead. The effect of the charm made Hermione's teeth grow past her collar, though Professor Snape remarked that he saw no difference. This caused Hermione to burst into tears and run to the Hospital Wing. The hex is reversable, as Poppy Pomfrey was able to shrink Hermione's teeth back, probably with the Shrinking Charm. Although, as Hermione had felt that her front teeth were too big to begin with, she allowed them to be shrunk to almost a centimetre smaller than they were prior to the hex hitting her. It was also used in 1997 by Ted Tonks to regrow Harry Potter's tooth after the Battle of the Seven Potters.
From Latin dens, "tooth," and augeo, "I increase" or "I enlarge."
Behind the scenes
- The hex is included in the "5 Spell Pack" DLC for LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7. In the game, the hex not only enlarges teeth, it also makes the victim wear groucho glasses.
- The Tooth-Growing Spell may be related to other spells that enlarge objects (e.g. the Engorgement Charm which enlarges objects in general).
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7