- Sirius: "Any time the family produced someone halfway decent they were disowned. I see Tonks isn't on here. Maybe that's why Kreacher won't take orders from her - he's supposed to do whatever anyone in the family asks him"
- Harry: "You and Tonks are related?"
- Sirius: "Oh, yeah, her mother Andromeda was my favourite cousin"
- — Harry Potter and Sirius Black on the Tonks and Black families[src]
Tonks is the surname of a family that was originally Muggle. Ted Tonks, however, was a Muggle-born wizard and he married a pure-blood witch, Andromeda Black (for which Andromeda was disowned), with whom he had one child, Nymphadora Tonks. The Tonks family is related to the Lupin, Black, Malfoy, and Lestrange families. They are distantly related to the Potter, Weasley, Peverell, Prewett, Crabbe, Riddle, Slytherin, Crouch, and Gaunt families. They may possibly also be related to the Longbottom and Abbott families. The male line continues through Ted Remus Lupin.
The Tonks family supported the Order of the Phoenix during the Second Wizarding War, though only Nymphadora Tonks was an actual member. Shortly after marrying Remus Lupin, she became pregnant and stayed at her parents' home with her mother, while her father was forced to go on the run to avoid the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. Ted was killed by Snatchers in 1998, and Nymphadora and her husband died fighting in the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their infant son in his maternal grandmother's care.
- Andromeda Tonks née Black — a pure-blood witch, sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy, wife of Ted
- Nymphadora Lupin née Tonks — daughter of Ted and Andromeda, wife of Remus Lupin, mother of Ted Remus Lupin, killed by Bellatrix Lestrange during Battle of Hogwarts
- Ted Tonks — a Muggle-born wizard killed by Snatchers in 1998