- Sirius Black: "Any time the family produced someone halfway decent they were disowned. I see Tonks isn't on here. Maybe that's why Kreacher won't take orders from her — he's supposed to do whatever anyone in the family asks him."
- Harry Potter: "You and Tonks are related?"
- Sirius Black: "Oh, yeah, her mother Andromeda was my favourite cousin."
- — Harry Potter and Sirius Black on the Tonks and Black families[src]
Tonks is the surname of a family that was originally Muggle. Ted Tonks, however, was a Muggle-born wizard and he married a pure-blood witch, Andromeda Black (for which Andromeda was disowned), with whom he had one child, Nymphadora Tonks.
The Tonks family is related to the Lupin, Black, Malfoy, and Lestrange families. They are distantly related to the Potter, Weasley, Peverell, Prewett, Crabbe, Riddle, Slytherin, Crouch, and Gaunt families. They may possibly also be related to the Longbottom and Abbott families. The female line continues through Edward Remus Lupin. During the Second Wizarding War the family supported Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter.
HistoryMuggle-born Ted Tonks married Andromeda Black after they graduated from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Because of this marriage, Andromeda was disowned by her family. In 1973 they had a daughter and their only child Nymphadora Tonks.
First Wizarding War
It can be assumed that during the First Wizarding War, the Tonks family supported the Order of the Phoenix. However, they were not actual members, only allies. They were happy when Lord Voldemort was defeated at the hands of Harry Potter in 1981.
Between the wars
- "Nearly failed on stealth and tracking. I'm dead clumsy! Did you hear me break that plate downstairs?"
- —Tonks talking to Harry Potter about her Auror training[src]
Undergoing three years of Auror training under the tutelage of Alastor Moody, Tonks's natural metamorphic abilities allowed her to easily pass the Concealment and Disguise portion of the training without doing any work for it at all. However, her clumsiness gave her trouble with the Stealth and Tracking portion of the course, which she almost failed. Tonks qualified fully as an Auror in 1994. It was most likely that her parents were proud when she was appointed as a full-fledged Auror.
Second Wizarding War
- "Harry had a clear view of the bodies lying next to Fred: Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking, apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling."
- —Harry describes Tonks and Remus's lifeless bodies[src]
The Tonks family supported the Order of the Phoenix during the Second Wizarding War, though only Nymphadora Tonks was an actual member. Shortly after marrying Remus Lupin, she became pregnant and stayed at her parents' home with her mother, while her father was forced to go on the run to avoid the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. Ted was murdered by Snatchers in March 1998 while on the run with other undesirables. On 2 May, 1998 Nymphadora and her husband were murdered separately by Death Eaters Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov, whilst fighting in the Battle of Hogwarts. Their deaths left their infant son in his maternal grandmother's care.
|Ted Tonks||A Muggle-born wizard murdered by Snatchers in March 1998|
|Andromeda Tonks (née Black)||A pure-blood witch, sister of Bellatrix Lestrange and Narcissa Malfoy, and wife of Ted|
|Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks)||Daughter of Ted and Andromeda, wife of Remus Lupin, and mother of Ted Remus Lupin. She was murdered by Bellatrix Lestrange during the Battle of Hogwarts|
|Lyall Lupin||Father of Remus; a Ministry of Magic employee who banished the Screaming Bogey of Strathtully; once offended the werewolf Fenrir Greyback|
|Hope Lupin (née Howell)||Mother of Remus|
|Remus Lupin||A werewolf and member of the Order of the Phoenix|
|Teddy Lupin||Orphaned son of Remus and Nymphadora; a Metamorphmagus like his mother|
|Cygnus Black III||Father of Bellatrix, Andromeda, Narcissa Black. Grandfather of Nymphadora Tonks and Draco Malfoy|
|Druella Black (née Rosier)||Mother of Bellatrix, Andromeda, Narcissa Black. Grandmother of Nymphadora Tonks and Draco Malfoy|
|Andromeda's eldest sister and murder of her daughter.|
|Narcissa Malfoy (née Black)||Andromeda's younger sister|
|Draco Malfoy||Andromeda's only nephew|
Notes and references
- ↑ Dorea Potter's median name was Black. She was also depicted upon the Black family tapestry, therefore the Potter's are relatives of the Tonks family through the House of Black.
- ↑ Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows