A tomato is a mildly acidic red or yellow pulpy fruit eaten as a vegetable, although technically qualifying as a fruit. It is a known flavour of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. Fried tomatoes are served at Hogwarts.
In 1991, while Vernon Dursley took them on the run from wizards, the Dursley family and Harry Potter ate stale cornflakes and cold tinned tomatoes for breakfast while staying at the Railview Hotel.
Behind the scenes
The tomato enjoyed, and continues to enjoy, a wide variety of labels and meaningful names in a range of languages. For example, the Italian pomodoro literally means "golden apple", while the Czech rajčata is the "paradise apple", and Elizabethan England knew it as the "love apple", with the word itself coming from Classical Nahuatl, or Aztec, tomatl, "the swelling fruit".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned on a sign, as BLT)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned on a sign, as BLT)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Mentioned on a sign, as BLT)