Presumably, although the gang disbanded after Riddle graduated from Hogwarts in 1945, it was a precursor to the Death Eater organisation. According to Riddle, he was even already going by the name "Lord Voldemort" among the members of the gang. Indeed, some (if not all) of the members became the earliest known Death Eaters.
- "They were a motley collection; a mixture of the weak seeking protection, the ambitious seeking some shared glory, and the thuggish gravitating toward a leader who could show them more refined forms of cruelty."
- —Albus Dumbledore on the the principal attributes of the gang, many of whom would later go on and become Death Eaters.[src]
Behind the scenes
- The Death Eaters may at some point have been titled the Knights of Walpurgis. This name seems to be a play on Walpurgis Night, the evening of 30 April when, according to legend, witches and demons gather.
- Interestingly, this group shares many of the same surnames with those who were part of the gang of Slytherins that attended Hogwarts in the 1970s. This is likely not coincidental as those in the latter group may be the children of those in the former.
- It's unknown what happened to the members of the gang when Tom was abroad looking for followers. It's possible that they travelled with him or they may have simply kept in correspondence with him while remaining in England.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in flashback(s))