|"Neither can live while the other survives..."|
The third floor corridor on the right hand side was out of bounds during the 1991–1992 school year at Hogwarts, because it was the access point to the Chambers where the Philosopher's Stone was being hidden. Fluffy, a three-headed dog owned by Rubeus Hagrid, guarded a trap door that led into the Chambers. In mid-September, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom stumbled into this corridor while trying to avoid Argus Filch since they were out of bed after hours. When they saw the dog, they quickly left the room. On Halloween, Quirinus Quirrell attempted to gain access to this corridor, but he was cut off by Severus Snape who was bitten by the dog at the time. Towards the end of the school term, Professor Quirrell gained access to the trap door by enchanting a harp to play music which lulled Fluffy into a state of sleep. Shortly afterwards, Harry, Ron, and Hermione used Harry's roughly cut wooden flute to do the same.
Behind the scenes
- In the PS2 game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Professor Albus Dumbledore's office is located on the third floor corridor, which seems incorrect as in the previous year, the corridor was out-of-bounds due to being entrance to the chambers of the Philosopher's Stone. However, it could also be correct as Hogwarts seems to have ever-changing abilities.
- In Year 1 of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, a skirmish called "The Frantic Fluffy Chase" takes place when Fluffy is awakened.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets