|"Neither can live while the other survives..."|
Third-floor, Hogwarts Castle
The third-floor corridor is a passage on the third-floor of Hogwarts Castle, accessible from the Grand Staircase, the Suspension Bridge staircase and the Charms corridor. It leads to the Gunhilda of Gorsemoor Corridor and Classroom 3D.
The third-floor corridor was out-of-bounds during the 1991–1992 school year due to the entrance to the Underground Chambers, in which the Philosopher's Stone was hidden, being there, guarded by Fluffy. The door between the Charms corridor and the third-floor corridor was locked, although the Grand Staircase entrance was not, at least for a time.
On the first day of term, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley got lost and attempted to force their way into the third-floor corridor, not realising which corridor it was. Argus Filch spotted them and accused them of knowingly attempting to trespass, but Quirinus Quirrell, who was nearby, had him leave them alone. Some weeks later, Harry, Ron, Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom hid in the corridor (after Hermione unlocked the entrance on the Charms corridor) from Argus Filch, but quickly left upon seeing Fluffy.
On Hallowe'en, Quirrell attempted to enter the Underground Chambers from the corridor, but was prevented from doing so by Severus Snape, who was bitten in the process. When Quirrell finally succeeded in passing through the trap door, Harry, Ron and Hermione went after him, with Dumbledore eventually following suit.
The third-floor was searched after Sirius Black attacked the Fat Lady. Severus Snape patrolled the third-floor corridor and proved an obstacle to Harry when he planned on using the passageway beneath the statue of Gunhilda of Gorsemoor in the nearby corridor. Harry used the Marauder's Map and saw that the third-floor corridor was deserted, allowing him to access the passage.
Behind the scenes
- In the first film, Harry, Ron and Hermione access the third-floor corridor from the Grand Staircase, finding the entrance to the corridor, for whatever reason, unlocked.
- In the third game, the third-floor corridor (spelt as the Third Floor Corridor) is simply a long room leading to the Gunhilda of Gorsemoor Corridor, containing several large bookcases.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 9
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ "Even worse than Peeves, if that was possible, was the caretaker, Argus Filch. Harry and Ron managed to get on the wrong side of him on their very first morning. Filch found them trying to force their way through a door that unluckily turned out to be the entrance to the out-of-bounds corridor on the third floor. He wouldn't believe they were lost, was sure they were trying to break into it on purpose, and was threatening to lock them in the dungeons when they were rescued by Professor Quirrell, who was passing." (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 8)
- ↑ Quirinus Quirrell: Unfortunately, while everyone else was running around looking for it, Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off - and not only did my troll fail to beat you to death, that three-headed dog didn't even manage to bite Snape's leg off properly. (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 17)
- ↑ Hermione Granger: I brought Ron round -that took a while - and we were dashing up to the owlery to contact Dumbledore when we met him in the entrance hall - he already knew - he just said, 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' and hurtled off to the third floor. (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 17)
- ↑ Severus Snape: The whole of the third floor has been searched. (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 9)
- ↑ "The third-floor corridor seemed to be deserted. Harry scanned the map carefully and saw, with a leap of relief, that the tiny dot labelled Severus Snape was now back in its office." (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 14)